Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > who īs a moocher in here?    

who īs a moocher in here?

_babz
Canada

who īs a moocher in here?

now that I have your attention - please read the following!

Hello everybody!

Is it weird that I īd rather share all my work with you, then to give it  to my so-called colleagues at work.

colleagues?....ha!...what colleagues.........bunch of moochers.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Rather than getting a "hello" in the morning, I get "what are you doing with your students today" and "can I have it". How do you respond to a person like this? Very annoying! You can īt make a move, without the other person commenting or knowing about it.

It īs also frustrating..Confused.   cause you know that the only reason the person is talking to you is cause they WANT stuff...rather than share or work together...

This is going on to another friend of mine, who teachers another subject.
What do you guys think? Am I overreacting?

Thanks (it feels good to vent)

11 Feb 2009      

trelly
Argentina

I can īt believe I īm not the only one who suffered from moochers!
Last year I was working at an institute where there was this other teacher - who was a real pain on the neck.
Every single day, the nosey teacher I īm referring to came to my classroom and checked what I was doing. No matter if I was alone, with parents or with students, she came in and demanded I gave her a copy of my activities (WTF?) So, what did I do? I decided I was not going to do her work (she never prepared a single exercise...)
I came into the institute one day and went directly to my classroom. When she appeared, I told her "Oh, today we are focusing on oral skills, so the children are not going to do any written exercise..." and she left. Some minutes later, while I was doing some vocabulary revision, I saw her peeping behind the window: she was looking at my blackboard and taking down notes on what was written there...
So next class, she came again and I told her "oh, Today I wasn īt feeling like doing extra activities... we will just work with our books". Again, she was behind my window, but this time, she saw nothing.
In a week or so, she wouldn īt even come to my window... and she never asked for my activities again.
I can really understand what you are feeling now, so, there are two answers to this problem:
you either go and tell them you are not going to share your materials because you work really hard to create them (I think all of us here can let you tell a white lie in your favour Wink)
or you do as I did, and try to end this problem before you go crazy. Try avoiding this other teacher in your breaks or in any other oportunity where she/he asks for your materials, and if she asks you why are you so distant, just tell her you are tired of being a worksheet provider for her!
If this sounds unpolite, don īt worry. She/he is less polite when bothering you with her demands!

Hope this helps you!

11 Feb 2009     

PennyBarker
Japan

Hi there,
I can totally understand how you must feel.

First of all, you can īt let other teachers take advantage of you any more. Would it be possible to have an informal sit down or staff meeting? You point out how you have helped other teachers with their lessons but how they rarely help you. Explain (nicely) how this makes you feel and perhaps make a suggestion of "idea sharing". I don īt know how your school works, but this could be on a lesson basis (example if you are all teaching the same lesson, each person tries to come up with an idea) or take turns-you think of ideas for this lesson, your friend for the next lesson etc. OR some kind of alternative, the important thing is not ONLY to complain, but to try to provide a SOLUTION. know what I mean? and remember, maybe the other teachers aren īt really aware of how their actions are making you feel. If they aren īt preparing properly, then chances are they don īt realize the effort you are putting in.

I think the most important thing is that you be honest, otherwise you will have only yourself to blame....I know it  might be difficult, but if those teachers don īt change their ways after you talk to them, then I don īt think they are "friends" at all, and you shouldn īt worry about offending them by saying "I don īt know" or something like that when they ask you next time.
good luck!
penny

11 Feb 2009     

hongduyen
Vietnam

Hi!
I myself have the same situation like you. More than three teachers in our English group asked me to share them my work, include worksheets, lesson plans. I found it really difficult to refuse. After some times, when they asked me to īlend � them my work, I said with a smile (half joke) that I couldn īt because it my secret.Wink 
Hope you can solve this problem easily.

11 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

It īs obviously a common problem but there is a solution.  Did someone ever give you a recipe but accidently (very possibly on purpose) forget to tell you something important and it turned out to be a disaster when you counted on it  being a success.

If you want to get them off your back just give them something slightly incomplete (like a sentence or punchline missing).

Of course I am way to sweet and responsible to do it myself but sometimes I wish could.

Worse than moochers are the ones that promise to prepare a ws or test but they never get it done in time or they do it so half -ssed that it isn īt worth anything and anyway you knew it would turnout that way anyway so you actually did it yourself just in case.  Like I have a staff of 6 teachers under me but I seem to be doing all the work.

11 Feb 2009     

_babz
Canada

thanks everyone...great advice!

11 Feb 2009