Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > past tenses    

past tenses

tommy1996
Vietnam

past tenses

please tell me what tense is right , past simple or continuous?
I .................the course from 2000 t0 2005.( attend)
thanks in advance.

26 May 2014      

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

You �re talking about an action that took a period of time in the past. You should say: I took the course from 2000 to 2005. There is no need for the progressive aspect in this sentence.

27 May 2014     

douglas
United States

Depending on the context, both options are possible; however, the simple past (attended) is usually the better choice for this sentence.
Cheers,
Douglas

27 May 2014     

darryn
United Kingdom

Yes I agree again. Both can be said;  but we normally use past continuous if we are launching into a story, or answering someone who is talking about it already, to let them know you were there. Something like that.But in your lone sentence, attended is better.

27 May 2014     

yanogator
United States

To add a little to the excellent answers you already have, the continuous tenses are used to emphasize action over a period of time. Your sentence is probably intended just to convey information (the time period), so, as the others said, the simple past is the best choice.

Bruce

27 May 2014     

tommy1996
Vietnam

thanks for your replies

27 May 2014