Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day (WOD) 28 May 2014-?    

Word of the Day (WOD) 28 May 2014-?

douglas
United States

Word of the Day (WOD) 28 May 2014-?

Good Morning (evening) Everybody,

The honor of selecting the next WOD has been bestowed (bestown?) upon me.  The idea is to have fun and be creative with the word (please don �t simply post the real definition)--I want to hear what you THINK it should/could mean.

The word for your ponderance is:

lumpatious

I have to admit that this is slang word that is working its way up into the language (kind of like "pundidiot").

I �ll let the word run for a while and see what you come up with.

Cheers,
Douglas

28 May 2014      

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

I think it is an ajective to describe a person. It consists of two words lump and patient. When you wait and wait for somebody or something for a long time, after long time of waiting you have only a piece of your great patience rested and you become lumpatious.

28 May 2014     

darryn
United Kingdom

I don �t think I will ever be using this word personally- but the rest of the world is welcome.  But this is something different - I see it and remember now Douglas. 
This word- I can tell you from fact- first started in Scotland in the 1800�s. It means like a rebel or something with slightly outrageous overtones. This began when some clans refused to wear the kilt and developed skin complaints from the poison ivy. Thus the word.

28 May 2014     

akvillina
Iran

Ok....in my opinion it is used while chatting or when in a hurry by those wonderful people who think about other people lives and care about every thing ...even those things which are not related to them at all...they use it to ask each other " What Others Do?"
So for example one can say WOD Dave...to ask what is David doing to get the special information about him.
Also .... about lumpatios. It should refer to those WODs.....;(

LOL..you asked for a little fun...here you go( went)...

Have a nice day.
;)

28 May 2014     

florimago
Spain

Crystal clear , the kind of people who have a sweet tooth ( lump : cube of sugar ; -atious : suffix meaning " inclined to ") . I am a very lumpatious person indeed!!!

28 May 2014     

Manuhk
Hong Kong

No, no, no, you �re all wrong Wink
Lumpatious [adjective] 
Origins: English and French (one of those fusion words), derives from the Enlish adjective �lumpy � and �the French noun �pate �
Meaning: used to describe a pate that was sloppily made by a chef, probably suffering from a hangover, or just being in a bad mood
Lumpatious = lumpy pate

28 May 2014     

isa2
Austria

I must contradict all of you. Lumpatious means that somebody who is a clumsy caf (=lump) behaves like a bull in a china shop.

28 May 2014     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

lumpatious = a feeling of surprise and astonishment when one sees that his/her salary has had severe cuts due to the world recession:

28 May 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

Lumpatious (adj.) is used to describe movies,stories, and situations, so touching they bring a lump to your throat. 

The word �Tearjerker" has condescending overtones and is more appropriate to describe stories/movies fabricated for the purpose of invoking a predictable emotional reaction.
Lumpatious, on the other hand, should be reserved for those (especially true) stories that restore - or challenge - our faith in humanity. The kind of story that truly touches us in the deepest of ways.

28 May 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

Esteemed colleagues, isn �t it obvious that lumpatious is an adjective that refers to a person who is prone to backaches? It comes from the word "lumbago," which is lower back pain. The word uses a p instead of a b from the similarity to the word "lump," mentioned by several of you. Many people with lumbago don �t want to strain themselves, so they sit and lie down all day.

28 May 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Sorry to bring this word round to dear old moi, but lumpatious is how I �m feeling after a week of indulging in three course dinners while on holiday. Diet starts Monday when I will get slendatious!

29 May 2014