Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > how to explain it in an easy way?    

how to explain it in an easy way?

simang21
Japan

how to explain it in an easy way?

Can anyone help me to explain these in the easiest way? Students are Japanese. Thanks in advance. What �s the matter? - I have a broken leg. - I broke my leg.

29 May 2014      

Sarah Zugschwerdt
United States

Verbs show the action or state of a noun.
"I have a broken leg" is the state of the person in the present tense. Other stative verb sentences could be "I have a bad cold" or "I am really sick." "Broken" is an adjective in this sentence.

"I broke my leg" is referring to an action that happened in the past tense. It is focusing on what happened sometime before now. Other action verb sentences could be "I coughed all night" or "I sneezed three times before I got out of bed." "Broke" in this sentence is the main verb.

Ask the students: When is the speaker referring to? Before now or now? Then ask: What is the main idea the speaker wants to communicate? What happened (action) or how he/she is (state).

Try using different examples, such as "I have a crashed car" and "I crashed my car." Have the students act out the sentences to get the idea.

Look up verbs that change into adjectives for other examples. You could give them a list and make sentences together as a class or in small groups.

Cheers!

29 May 2014