Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Dyslexsia in the English Class    

Dyslexsia in the English Class

Aurore
France

Dyslexsia in the English Class

In September we will open a class with 9 children who have dyslexia and other learning difficulties and they will be mixed with other pupils. I �ve been told that not much can be done to help them in English but I find that unacceptable. I think I �ve read most of the available books and know the background theory  but  I �m looking for ideas that work so  if you have any links  with examples for the English class I �d be really  grateful. Thanks

31 May 2014      

limeth
Slovakia

Hi, I work with a dyslexic child. I teach her English. She is nine years old and has dyslexia, dyscalculia and dysgraphia. I prepare worksheets for her with pictures and less writing and reading. I use Arial font. Fonts like Helvetica, Courier, Arial, Verdana, and CMU should be easier to read for dyslexic people.

We have to work slower and we use many games and hands-on activities, flashcards, songs, drawings. It works well. By teaching vocabulary I use pictionaries rather than word and its translation. And I count on her hearing more than her eyesight.

There are lots and lots of resources on www.pinterest.com

http://thisreadingmama.com/2013/03/13/teaching-reading-to-the-dyslexic-student-guest-post-by-marianne-sunderland/

http://www.friendshipcircle.org/blog/2012/12/26/a-complete-self-help-gudie-for-dyslexia/

31 May 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

in case it �s useful... http://eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=35376

1 Jun 2014     

Aurore
France

Thanks for all your help. Very useful.  xxx

1 Jun 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

I have several dyslexic kids in all of my classes. For them the focus is on comprehension and speaking, rather than on reading and writing. (Let �s not forget you can travel the world with good spoken English, being able to read and write isn �t necessarily the most important thing!!)
We do a lot of oral work in class. Even when working on a text there is a lot of oral work involved; We will usually work on a text as a class, I will read it out once, then different students read and translate. By the time we get to reading comprehension questions all the students have heard the text several times. I will usually get the rest of the class working and then sit down next to my dyslexic students, read the questions out to them and they need to give me full answers in their own words, from memory and listening comprehension. I explain to them that in many ways that is more difficult since they can not rely on the sentence structure as given in the text, they need to work it out for themselves (with my help of course) Often they turn out to be the better speakers.

For some of the kids I record the key words with translations or even the texts beforehand (Just record it as a message and send it to their smartphone)
I know that a remedial teacher working specifically with these kids might be able to teach them eventually to read and write but in my school (primary) it was decided that there is also a value to being part of regular classes. 

1 Jun 2014     

romanaesl
Slovenia

I have found out that paper and colours used for creating worksheets is also important. So while creating them try to avoid light text on a dark background.

Use coloured paper instead of white. Cream or off-white provides a good alternative. Matt paper is preferable to glossy paper, as this reduces glare.

Best, Romana

1 Jun 2014