Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar query    

Grammar query

yingying
China

Grammar query

Dear all,

I would like to ask if the follwoing structure are right or wrong.

1. Doing sports is beneficial to health.
2. Doing sports is beneficial to combating chronic diseases.

I know it is correct to put a noun after "is beneficial to"
Is it correct to put a gerund after the phrase "is beneficial to"?

Thanks  in advance

1 Jun 2014      

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Hi. I cannot tell you whether the �structure � you asked about (the 2nd structure) is grammatically perfect. I would suggest that it does not make sense though. Why? Because �combating chronic diseases � itself is beneficial to health, so it seems that the 2nd sentence says �sports is beneficial to something which is beneficial to health �. For the 2nd sentence, perhaps �effective in � / �beneficial as it combats...". I hope I am not too far off the point.

1 Jun 2014     

FrauSue
France

I would say:

Doing sport(s) is good for your health.
Doing sport(s) has health benefits.
Doing sport(s) can help to combat chronic diseases.

"Doing sport(s) is beneficial to health" isn �t wrong but is possibly not the most natural phrasing.

1 Jun 2014     

darryn
United Kingdom

I would say 1. is O.K. but 2. needs �for � instead of �to �. Bye.

1 Jun 2014     

yingying
China

Dear all,

What doubts me is  if we can use a gerund (doing something) after "beneficial to" or we should use  "to do something" after "beneficial to"
Please help me solve this problem. Thanks in advance!

2 Jun 2014     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

Beneficial to doing something does not exist in English. You should say something is beneficial to do something. I think it would be beneficial for each committee member to have a copy of the report (and not to having a copy of the report). This is according to the OZDIC dictionary which is a reliable source. http://www.ozdic.com This dictionary is a great learning tool in the sense that it provides its users with a plethora of examples and word collocations. I hope things are clear for you now.

2 Jun 2014