Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Use of English    

Use of English

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Use of English

Hello, dear colleagues!
Could you please help me with the following  sentence? As I �m not 100% sure.

The island was known for the Spanish but still uninhabited in 1609, when Sir George Somers ran aground on a sandback in a storm and ____ it for the Crown.

and the options: devoted claimed     requested      dedicated

I think it �s claimed, but again, I have doubts. Could you please consult me and explain the meaning? Does it mean he claimed it AS a British colony or what? I just haven �t seen the verb to claim used with the preposition for.

Thanks in advance,
Kate

3 Jun 2014      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It is claimed. �Requested � is grammatically correct, but �claimed it for �.. is a set phrase, used in this context. Also �to lay claim to �. (You may get a better explanation.) Yes, he claimed it to become part of the British Empire. 
By the way, I think it should be �the island was known to the Spanish �, not for. I don �t know what �Si � stands for. 

3 Jun 2014     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

It �s Sir.

Does the phrase "is known to the Spanish" mean that the Spanish man, i.e. Sir George, knew about this island before the settlement?

Thank you for your quick answer

3 Jun 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Katia. �To be known to � doesn �t imply anything. It �s just that the Spanish knew about its existence, but presumably didn �t claim it for themselves or do anything about it. 

Edit: Katia, have you changed this question or am I going doolally? Confused

3 Jun 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi Katia! Ah, you too are checking if your students did well in ZNO, right?:)
I agree with Lynne:
known to the Spanish
claimed it for 

Have a look at this entry in Macmillandictionary.com
claim credit/responsibility/victory etc (=say it is yours)

I can �t claim all the credit for our success.

3 Jun 2014     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Lynne Blackburn

LOLLOL  It looks like you �ve posted your reply at the same time or just after I �ve edited mine)))

3 Jun 2014     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Hi Sophia!!! Glad to see you �ve responded.
Yes, I am... ) 

Thank you all once again.
Katia

3 Jun 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

OK Katia - as long as you are happy with the answer. 
Now I �m wondering what that island was that that Sir George fellow claimed.... 

3 Jun 2014     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

It �s Bermuda island)

3 Jun 2014     

kekenito
Spain

Spanish navigator, Juan de Bermudez (for whom the islands are named), discovered the area in 1505 and claimed it for the Spanish Empire. What did Mr.Somers then? :-D �?

3 Jun 2014     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Admiral Sir George Somers (1554�1610) was an English naval hero, knighted for his achievements and the Admiral of the Virginia Company. He achieved renown as part of an expedition led by Sir Amyas Preston against the Spanish fleet in 1595 during the undeclared Anglo-Spanish War. He is remembered today as the founder of theEnglish colony of Bermuda, also known in the 17th century as the Somers Isles.

That �s from Wikipedia

4 Jun 2014     

1    2    Next >