Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Soaked in sweat    

Soaked in sweat

ttuffl
Korea, South

Soaked in sweat

Hi teachers I need some help. I am making a list of expressions related to summer. When you are hot and sweaty, do you say "I am soaked in sweat." Or "I am soaked to the skin."? Google shows only " I wake up soked in sweat" or "My shirt is soaked in sweat." Or "I am soaked to the skin in RAIN." Thank you for advace

9 Jun 2014      

anaisabel001
Spain

Hi,
soaked to the skin

Also, soaked through .  Drenched, extremely wet, as in What a downpour; I �m soaked to the skin , or She fell in the stream and was soaked through . The implication in this idiom implies that water has penetrated one �s clothing, so one is thoroughly wet.

You can have a look here:
http://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=soaked
Hope this helps.
Cheers!

9 Jun 2014     

serzt
Turkey

VERBS be, look | get
ADV. absolutely, completely, thoroughly
PHRASES soaked to the skin There was a sudden shower and we got soaked to the skin. (Oxford Collocations Dictionary)
He woke up soaked with sweat. (Oxford 8th edition)
Macmillan

She was shivering and soaked with sweat.
soaked through (=wet all the way through): Our tent is soaked through.
soaked to the skin/​bone: Most of the walkers were soaked to the skin.

Longman
be drenched/soaked with sweat (=be covered in a lot of sweat)
▪ His shirt was drenched with sweat.

Cambridge

I �m going to have to take these clothes off - I �m soaked to the skin!
My shoes are soaked (through).
His T-shirt was soaked in sweat.

9 Jun 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Soaked to the skin � implies you have been in the rain. �Drenched � is what we use for sweat. 
It �s never happened to me, of course, because I �m a lady. 

9 Jun 2014     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

We can say all of the following expressions: be soaked, drenched, bathed, or covered followed by the preposition in. We can also say be beaded, or streaming followed by the preposition with. Alternatively. You can say "I was sweating buckets" or "I was sweating like a pig". I hope this will help.

9 Jun 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�I �m sweating buckets � or � I �m sweating like a pig � - these are usual expressions.  So NasreddineSarsar is right. 

And �I �m drenched in sweat � 

9 Jun 2014     

yanogator
United States

"Soaked to the skin" indicates that the liquid has come from outside the clothing, not from the skin itself.

Bruce

9 Jun 2014     

ttuffl
Korea, South

Thank you so much !!!!!!!

9 Jun 2014     

douglas
United States

In my experience (and personal use) "drenched" does not specifically mean "with sweat"--if Igo ou in the rain, I get drenched (with rain water).  Most US dictionaries show "soaked" as a synonym for "drenched".

Personally, I also never use "soaked to the skin"--for me it is always "soaked to the bone"

10 Jun 2014