Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > On Australian Slang    

On Australian Slang

ueslteacher
Ukraine

On Australian Slang

Just read a BBC article on Australian slang and thought I �d share it with you. 

12 Jun 2014      

almaz
United Kingdom

Interesting article, Sophia. I wonder how many of our Antipodean cousins agree that Strine is in decline.

Alex

12 Jun 2014     

joy2bill
Australia

Interesting but the article did feature a number of expressions I �ve never heard before. I must admit when I first relocated to Oz ( from NZ) 16 years ago I had to learn a �new � language. I had no idea what �an arvo � or an �avo � were. Australians love shortening things...so mozzie, ambo, servo, etc. Strine is alive but changing.

12 Jun 2014     

thundermore
Thailand

nteresting article, Sophia. I wonder how many of our Antipodean cousins agree that Strine is in decline.

12 Jun 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Thx for posting, Sophia. It �s an interesting read.

The shortening of words certainly is still very common (although �swimmers � is not used in my neck of the woods.  In fact, swimming trunks are called different things in different parts of Australia: swimmers, togs, cossi, bathers).

I don �t recall our budget being compared to a Pollywaffle but I am a fan of Pollywaffles and I wish they �d bring them back.

The idiom used by the former PM, about the sauce bottle,  is not correct and media took the mickey out of him for his use of it (naughtily!) and that he got his idioms mixed up

Of the 14 on the list, I know 11 of those but most are not used in the circles I mix in.  I do think they might be fading out and I really only hear them on TV now.  One exception is budgie smugglers.  Our current PM has brought that idiom well and truly back to life and he is often portrayed in cartoons wearing his budgie smugglers.  So funny!!

Cheers

Jayho

13 Jun 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thank you, Joy and Jayho, for taking the time to read the article and comment on it because you are the people who can tell if it �s true:) 

13 Jun 2014