Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Institute    

Institute

Carolina_86
Costa Rica

Institute

Hi everybody! Big smile
I just started to work on an institute, with adults. They are very smart and everthough they �re in "basic" level they know a lot BUT they �re extremelly shy to talk in English. This is new for me because I �ve never worked with adults before, can you give me some advice to make them speak? jajaja Thanks in advance Wink

27 Jun 2014      

lisilemos
Argentina

Hi Carolina!
I work in a school for adults, I use differente games as icebreakers. You can find lots of games on this site. You can also play board games that your students already know, for instance: the bingo (to practise numbers), cards (the UNO game helps you to practise colours, numbers), and there are many books with games that can be photocopied. Students speak without the pressure of making mistakes copying with the coursebook ;)

27 Jun 2014     

ttuffl
Korea, South

I �m Korean and I �m teaching Korean office workers.
My students struggle when they speak even though they are intermediate. It �s partly because they are shy and partly because they don �t know how to connect all the words they know  correctly in a short time. SO to relieve their stress I suggest expressions or patterns they can use. For example  instead of giving them a  simple situation (If you �re in a sinking boat, what  three Items would you take? � with a very sort reading) and push to converse, I give a handout with information such as (1) Items: a,b,c,... (2)weather or season (3) patterns and expressions: I �ll take____,because the weather  is _____) Because they are adults, more choices make them happier (the number of items or others) while less patterns and expressions are always welcomed. 
Adult students don �t want to sound dumb so a correct or clear sentence structures at hand are like a seat belt.
Good Luck

28 Jun 2014     

florimago
Spain

Hi, I agree with you Caroline86. I started teaching adults few years ago and always find the same problem as you �re describing.According to my short experience and apart from the ones told by lisilemos, the best activities to make them talk are taboo, charades game, hangman, broken telephone (they really love this one but in my opinion it just can be played once a day) , find the differences , optical illusions .Hope it helps .

28 Jun 2014     

FrauSue
France

Hi there,

I agree with ttuffl - it �s good to give people a model to work from. Maybe teach a few structures (even a grammar point) and then ask questions to practise that point. With my adult class, I recently did a session on "making suggestions". We discussed 3 groups of structures - those with base verb (You could ...), those with the infinitive (It �s a good idea to ...) and those with a noun or gerund (Have you tried ...?). The pupils had a printed handout with the structures on it and then we moved into an oral activity giving advice to others.

Role plays are another great way to get pupils to talk. They feel less self-conscious as they are not expressing their own ideas but rather those of the �character � they are playing.

If some pupils are more confident than others, you could try getting them to answer the first few questions, thus producing a model for the less confident pupils.

29 Jun 2014