Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Word of the Day

Well, well, well, I �ve won the WOD - thank you Isa!  I thought that spanogyny was a group of Spanish ladies out on a hen night. So I guess a similar group of English birds would be an anglogyny.Wink It actually means a scarcity of women like they had in the Wild West. Your new word is from a list supplied by Mr.Wilson.

N U D I U S T A R I A N 

No looking up the real definition! 

5 Jul 2014      

Jayho
Australia

I see that word and the first thing that hits me is the nudi bit!

So, my definition is that a nudiustarian is someone who rocks up to the ARIAs nude!

BTW, ARIA is the Australian Industry Recording Association and every year they have a big awards night, the ARIAs, for best song, best group, best album etc.

Cheers

Jayho

5 Jul 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Jayho is only half right. The first part refers to a nudist, indeed. Us stands for the U.S of A. And �starian � is an abbreviation of Rastafarian (like good old Bob Marley). In short, it �s a dope smoking nudist in the US. Cheers, Peter.

6 Jul 2014     

florimago
Spain

Crystal clear for me !!! A nudiustarian is a a person who practices nudity mainly for reasons of economy ... why should I buy a new swimsuit (they �re extremely expensive in Spain) when I can save the money ? Come on ,think about that, being a nudiustarian this summer is a good way to save some money ...

6 Jul 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

Actually, this word has nothing to do with nakedness. It refers to a star-worshipper or a "scientific" astrologer.

nu: new
dius: god
star: star
-ian: suffix referring to a person, such as in musician

6 Jul 2014     

isa2
Austria

It �s a woman who makes use of the latest donor insemination by American film or popstars.

nu=new
di = DI = donor insemination
us = U.S.
star = star
ian = suffix

6 Jul 2014     

douglas
United States

a person that routinely stares at nudes -- often seen with binoculors, hiding in the bushes around nude beaches (particularly in the USA)

7 Jul 2014     

oumsalsabil
Algeria

from nuda in Polish meaning dullness. We use the word nudiustarian to refer to a student who with the quality of being slow to understand , he/she often stares at the teacher with astonishment.

7 Jul 2014     

anaram
Spain

Douglas, may I remind you that no real definitions are allowed? Now that you let the cat out of the bag I can �t come up with a creative idea.

7 Jul 2014     

elderberrywine
Germany

How do you know Douglas gave the real definition?

8 Jul 2014     

douglas
United States

I don �t know the real definition.

8 Jul 2014     

1    2    Next >