Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "make someone acquainted with sth"    

"make someone acquainted with sth"

Sorcha
Portugal

"make someone acquainted with sth"

Hi, I �m correcting a student �s assignment and I �m not sure if this sentence is correct, so I wonder if any of you can help me. Thanks. "I will make the bank manager acquainted with my ideas and plans to start my own business" - Do make and acquainted collocate?

21 Jul 2014      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would suggest to your student , �I will let the bank manager know about my ideas and plans to start my own business. �

21 Jul 2014     

EnglishTeacher08
United Kingdom

I will make the bank manager familiar with ..... 
Your student �s sentence is also correct, I should say.

21 Jul 2014     

yanogator
United States

Yes, "make" and "acquaint" do collocate, although the sentence doesn �t sound totally natural. The other two suggestions are better, but your student �s sentence is correct.

Bruce

21 Jul 2014     

Sorcha
Portugal

Thank you all :)

21 Jul 2014     

Apodo
Australia

It would sound better if your student wrote:

I will acquaint the bank manager with my ideas and plans to start my own business"

21 Jul 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

One more suggestion if I may, "I will inform the bank manager about ....", "I will discuss my plans... with the bank manager", "I will familiarize the bank manager with my plans..."

23 Jul 2014