Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What do you think the answer is? What do you think is the answer?    

What do you think the answer is? What do you think is the answer?

ttuffl
Korea, South

What do you think the answer is? What do you think is the answer?

I �m confused. Would anyone help me? 
Are both of these questions are acceptable ? If not, which is correct?

1. What do you think the answer is? 
2. What do you think is the answer?

Thank you 

29 Jul 2014      

lewisronaldc
United States

Both are grammatically correct. Most native speakers I know prefer; What do you think the answer is? For me, it is a smoother flowing question.

29 Jul 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Agree with lewisronaldc.

30 Jul 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree. It depends on the intonation, too.

What do you think THE ANSWER is? (normal, asking for the answer to a question).

What do YOU think the answer is? (emphasizes the other person, could be criticizing him, but not necessarily)

What do you THINK is the answer? (sounds emphatic, emphasizes the other �s person �s thinking) Imagine a parent saying this in an irritated or exasperated  tome of voice when asked if the teen can do something that the parent feels completely ourtof the question, like when a 14 year old asked her Dad if she could go unaccompanied to Woodstock, a big outdoor concert in the 60s, with her boyfriend.

30 Jul 2014     

Leo212
Thailand

I agree most with redcamarocruiser.

30 Jul 2014     

Mariya-ye
Russian Federation

I think the 1st one is correct - the question is in the fist part with the aux. verb " do" - so further there is a direct order of words.

30 Jul 2014     

crm923
Australia

Both are grammatically correct and used by us native speakers, depending on the situation.

30 Jul 2014     

ttuffl
Korea, South

Thank you all for the kind answers !!!

30 Jul 2014     

rilum
Uruguay

THE FIRST IS THE CORRECT. YOU MAKE THE QUESTION ONLY ONCE, THE SECOND PART OF THE QUESTIONS BECOMES AN AFFIRMATIVE SENTENCE.

30 Jul 2014     

Nandel
Argentina

The first is the correct question because it �s an indirect question. The second part is always in the affirmative form.

30 Jul 2014     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi, Only the first one is grammatically correct.

Who is that man?  => Do you know who that man is?

Where does she live?   => Does anybody know where she lives?

You can read more under "indirect questions". IQ are used to make the  question more formal/polite.

31 Jul 2014