Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > reading    

reading

irisha_dl
United Kingdom

reading

Hi everyone, I am teacher trainee at the moment and last week I failed my reading lesson, does anyone know, where I can read how to teach it and some examples of lessons which I could look through?
Thank you very much everyone, for your help
Iryna

13 Feb 2009      

fleur
Malta

What age are your students?

13 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I �m not sure I understand how you failed your reading test,
but to understand the elementary basics of teaching reading,
try putting yourself in the students position and think back to
how you learned to read. What materials caught your attention?
You  should focus on the story or the vocabulary.
Give your students a feeling of success - you �ll have much
better results, than if they go home feeling a failure.
To do this, you need a good story with relatively easy vocabulary.

Think about repetition of new words or perhaps telling
what the story is about before hand so your students will understand
what it is and make reading and comprehension easier.

I find that a good story will capture their attention, but they
also need tools for understanding.
Make word searches, games, songs, using the words
in the story and then try reading.
The more YOU read, the better you �ll become at teaching others.
L

13 Feb 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

I am willing to help but you need to clarify your request a bit.

13 Feb 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Hola Irisha,

First of all, when we teach reading to our students in an EFL class, we do it because it provides such a great  exposure to English language, also with reading is where our students will gain the richest bunch of vocabulary needed.
So before starting our reading class we should plan in advance :

->The needs of my students for practising reading: Are they university students reading for academic purposes? nursery school students? Do they need to learn to read for work? for pleasure? Study your students.
->The type of reading my students should do: It should be according to their age, where they live, etc. The readings rather be from real contexts. Although for the younger ones some fairy tales will be the best. On the other hand, for business students, maybe some articles from newspapers could be propper. It will up to your students. Of course that is why you had made your need analisys in advance. Just remember that the readings should be engaging and that the students are to respond to the content of the reading text, not just the language.
->The skills, tasks and activities my students should acquire: The students can skim, scan, read for details in a text.
I believe that traditionally reading skills is seen as such a passive moment. Nevertheless, We could swing from the comprehension questions to some discussion for example. In my classes I rather make them as active as I can. For me reading is the opening for writing and speaking. We should use the reading along all the moments of our class. Hence, a speaking discussion could be about the topic of the reading, or the students write a letter to the author of the article they read. To my understanding there is a lot of things to work with readings.
 We can also make our students to read aloud for practicising pronunciation and entonation. Play charade games with vocabulary from the text, anticipation of the sentences. Even some Total physical response activities: Choose one student to read aloud and make the other students stand up when they hear a special feature point in the text or the meaning of a specific word you wrote on the board. I mean dont make them read and then only anwer questions or mark true or false.
->The steps in your lesson plans:
It depends on your time but as once the teachers from this site suggested me: Make one template of your lesson plan and automatize it  to all your classes. I mean the template, not the activities. I like when my students already know what is the following step in the class and they are expecting something like � �oh now the discussion, what situation will Miss Melissa give us now? � � and some times I surprise them changing the steps and they even complain sometimes saying: � �Miss, and the discussion? � � LoL.
About the moments; I usually make them predict ( read the tittle and predict the text so they brainstorm ideas about it, predict possible vocabulary that will be used, show pictures related to the text and they guess the text, etc)
Then the atual reading moment ( I usually give them their own time to read the text then i check pronunciation, i make the games about the new words from the text, charades, catch special grammar features, ask questions in the middle of the readings to tets if they are following it, etc)
Then it is a post-discussion about it. Finally the evaluation ( about the content of the text if they understood the meaning and also i test them inductively the grammar feature held)...
.... Etc, dear Irisha.

Well this is what I �ve learnt in my years as a trainee , from teachers in this site, from books and � �personal experience � �.
I hope I helpt a little bit.

Miss Melissa . Hug                                                 (sorry if its too long my fellow teachers)

13 Feb 2009     

irisha_dl
United Kingdom

Thank you very much for your clarification

14 Feb 2009