Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > IN or AT    

IN or AT

silvanija
Lithuania

IN or AT

Help Confused

We pray at church or in church?  Or may be the definite article is necessary? Wacko

13 Feb 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

I would say �in � church .. though, i don �t know to explain why.
But there �s no need for an article. Because if someone is �in hospital �, they are there because they are ill, and if they are �in THE hospital �, they are there to visit someone or do some repairs or sth. The same should go for �church �, too.

13 Feb 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

this sounds the correct one to me:

Thumbs Up   WE PRAY IN CHURCH -- it only means you are inside the church praying.
-> "the" is not used when the places mentioned are visited or used for their primary purpose.

For example:

Im in bed: It means sleeping or resting.                           
Im in hospital = as patient.  
Im in the hospital = maybe you just stoped by to say hi a friend.

WE PRAY AT THE CHURCH-- it means you are praying in some point inside or maybe outside the church.
-> AT gives me the idea that I could be on the ground, or on the first floor, you know any point refered to the church (bulding).

Miss Melissa. Hug

13 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

You pray in church because you are in the church.
You meet at the corner because it is a defined, restricted area.
You meet at the bar, at school, at the hospital - then you go in.

Hope this helps.

13 Feb 2009     

Apryll12
Hungary

As I know - but I may be mistaken - in is rather used when we refer actually to the building. Like in these examples: We ate at a restaurant yesterday.  i.e. not at home, We ate in the restaurant, i.e. not in the garden of restaurant but inside the building.

I �m all ears what natives will say about it. Wink

13 Feb 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

So �at � is at the area, the piece of ground the building is on, really close to, nearby. When you direct people to go there you could also say: �Stop at the church, turn around, go... � And �in � really is inside as in �He �s in church ( as �in hospital �) now praying �. Should this be it?

13 Feb 2009     

silvanija
Lithuania

Thank you for your ideas.

Libertybelle, I �ve found two sentences about school in my Oxford dictionary :
All my kids are still at school. (BrE)
All my kids are still in school. (NAmE)

13 Feb 2009     

Lou2002
United Kingdom

I �m English and would definitely say " I pray in church".  I think Libertybelle �s reasoning behind it sounds spot on (correct!).  Big smile

13 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Aaaaah, prepositions can be so unpredictable!  As a native Aussie I sometimes find it difficult to explain it to my students because we just know what sounds right and what doesn �t.

Libertybelle �s explanation is good.  If you have grammar guru Michel Swan �s Practical English Usage then check that out too- it is clearly explained.  I couldn �t cope without his book - it �s just fantastic.

You don �t need the article if you are referring to your regular church.

With Silvanija �s blog - both are acceptable in Australia however we would generally say the former if we were referring to our children being at school v working (are your children at school or in the workforce), and the latter if we were referring to a particular time of day (where are your children at the moment).  But it �s a fine line and both are ok.

13 Feb 2009     

douglas
United States

In America, in my native speaker experience, we don �t say "in hospital" we only use "in the hospital" which usually means your a patient.

I say pray in church too, but can �t explain why.

Douglas

16 Feb 2009