Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > All that vs All what    

All that vs All what

you_per7
Algeria

All that vs All what

Dear colleagues,WinkWink

could you tell me which expression is correct
1. All what is necessary.
2. All that is necessary.

I hope to get an explanation if it is possible.
Thanks in advance.

8 Sep 2014      

expertosenidiomas
Colombia

Dear you:

I understand your question but I would not recommend any of them. In this case what you should say to express your idea, is: "to do what it takes". It is the correct expression to say what you really mean. To do what it takes or whatever it takes, means that everything you need to do, will be done. 

All that is necessary sounds more acertive though.

Hope it helped.

:)

8 Sep 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Hi,

"do whatever it takes" is idiomatic, as expertosenidiomas said. However depending on the rest of your sentence, option 2. "All that is necessary" is also used. Example:

"All that is necessary in order to be successful is..." would be a good beginning of a sentence.

There is also a famous example: "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." 

Mary

8 Sep 2014     

yanogator
United States

Yes, "all that is necessary..." is correct.

Bruce

8 Sep 2014     

florimago
Spain

"All that is necessary" is the correct one . "What" is used when there �s an indirect question , for example, I don�t know what is necessary to make an omelette Hope it helps Flori

9 Sep 2014     

you_per7
Algeria

Thanks a lot Wink

10 Sep 2014