Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > grammar help    

grammar help

szamoca
Hungary

grammar help

Dear Colleagues,

Is this sentence correct?

Children need to be fed, helped with their homework and played with if they want.

I think I gave too much thinking to this and I just can �t decide. It sounds a bit odd to me.

Thanks for your help!

3 Oct 2014      

siubhan
Ireland

It does sound a bit odd - maybe it would be better if you put the last bit in brackets:

Children need to be fed, helped with their homework and played with (if they want).

3 Oct 2014     

florimago
Spain

Well , I think it�s ok except for the last sentence ( and played with if they want ) As far as I know, we can transform active into passive when there�s a direct or indirect object . In my opinion , "with them " is a kind of prepositional complement but not a direct/indirect object . Note the difference People play football around the world - Football is played around the world ( In this case , passive is possible cause "football" is a direct object) Hope it helps

3 Oct 2014     

Zora
Canada

It sounds very odd actually... and the last part sounds like you are talking about a pet! lol

Try this: Children need to be fed, they need help with their homework and time to play.

Unless you need to use passives, then...

Children need to be fed, helped with their homework and allowed time to play.

3 Oct 2014     

yanogator
United States

Grammatically the sentence is OK, but, as the others are pointing out, it definitely doesn �t sound natural.

Bruce

3 Oct 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

"Children need to be fed, helped with their homework and played with if they want." Sounds like Dr Spock (I now, I �m that old)or any other of those so-called parental guidance books. Unnatural and rather silly. It makes them like pets alright, Zora. I agree with your passive example, with brackets added: Children need to be fed, helped with their homework and allowed (time) to play. Cheers, Peter

4 Oct 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It makes sense. The last bit �and played with � means you should play with them (if that �s what they want). That �s not the same as giving them time to play. It needs a comma before �if they want�. 

4 Oct 2014     

szamoca
Hungary

Thanks a lot for all of you. You were really helpful. :-)

4 Oct 2014