Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Learning Irregular Verbs    

Learning Irregular Verbs

Kita19
Portugal

Learning Irregular Verbs

Hello!

Do you know any good and effective ways/tricks to learn the list of the irregular verbs? I mean, without having the list in front of you, always saying "be, was, been", "be, was, been", etc... (that �s how I learnt it, by the way... Wink)

I have a private student and would like to give her some tips so that she can memorize the verbs more easily...

Thanks a lot in advance.

Patr�cia

20 Oct 2014      

estibenkarmona
Turkey

you can download my printable, irregular verbs bingo and your student can play with it to learn much quicker

20 Oct 2014     

nathalie891
France

Hi, Do you know this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNaDvAYC0Jw

20 Oct 2014     

Balkees32
Israel

this video is just fantastic

21 Oct 2014     

FrauSue
France

I encourage the pupils to group the verbs into families.
The "ought/aught" family - catch, fight, teach, buy etc.
The "o-i �en" family - drive, write, ride etc.
The "no change" family - put, cut etc.

By identifying and grouping similar verbs into groups themselves (maybe as a class activity) and discussing their reasons for associating different verbs in the same family, pupils are more likely to remember them. An alphabetical list is far too abstract.

21 Oct 2014     

Kita19
Portugal

Thanks a lot for your help. I think that �s a great idea, FrauSue. ;)

The video is really amazing!

22 Oct 2014