Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > subject verb agreement    

subject verb agreement

Ruwayda37
Egypt

subject verb agreement

Hello, fellow teachers, I have one more question and I hope that you will help me as always. I �d like to know about the rule of subject verb agreement that leads to the use of �is � and not �are � in the sentence, �This is my mum and dad. � Thanks a lot.

24 Oct 2014      

douglas
United States

this is singular, in my opinion you could also use "these are" (I know this is not really the answer you are looking for, but it came to mind).

25 Oct 2014     

frere
Albania

this is my mum and [this is] my dad
�this is � understood

that is my understanding and i am a native speaker

also there is the mistaken use of naming a group and using singular - eg Liverpool is..... referring to the football team. when i speak of Liverpool in that context, the picture in my mind is of eleven players, so i say Liverpool + 3rd person plural. i don �t worry to much about grammar rules [you may notice a lack of capital letters] but, of course, that is easy for native speakers. good luck!

bac frere
hanoi

25 Oct 2014     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Can I generalize the rule by saying that compound subjects joined by and and preceded by the verb take a singular verb, like "There �s a book and a pen on the table"?

25 Oct 2014     

Zora
Canada

I always tell my students to look at the first person/object after "there". Is it one - then use the singular "is". If it�s two or more/plural use "are".

25 Oct 2014     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thank you very much.

26 Oct 2014