Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Confused!    

Confused!

aslanysm
Turkey

Confused!

Hi all!
Yesterday I and my students had a discussion about an idion which is �to be on fire�. I taught it a few days ago but the problem is I wasn�t aware that it had another meaning like being very attravtive actually just like I am hot. You know it also means to be very good at something. Does it sound weird if I say it to a native speaker? Or which meaning is more common?

Thanks a lot

30 Oct 2014      

buzzingbee
France

hi!
I looked it up in the Collins dictionary. This does not work.
It is not like hot, sexy. but Ardent, eager to do things. Meaning number 3 makes me think about sports and athletes.

Here are the three meanings:
  1. in a state of ignition
  2. ardent or eager
  3. (informal) playing or performing at the height of one �s abilities.

30 Oct 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

here �s what I found
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I%27m%20on%20fire
a phrase that can be used in two ways

1). If you �re on a winning roll in a game

2). You �re literally on fire
1). Got on a winning streak on poker i �m on fire tonight lad

2). HELP! somebody help. I �M ON FIRE!!!

A term that people use when someone is doing great and they are unable to be stopped.
Man, that dude is on fire

pants on fire http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=my%20pants%20are%20on%20fire
1. to lie so badly that, theoretically your pants will burst into flames. popularized by the kindergarten chant, "liar liar pants on fire!".
2. to be painfully gay.
so then i told her i �m puff daddy �s personal coke tender, and she bought it. i �m surprised my pants didn �t catch fire on the spot.

a very serious, often life threatening condition that occurs when a guy/girl is so horny they �ll fuck anything in sight.
call the fire department! i haven �t had sex for over a month, and my pants are on fire!

30 Oct 2014     

douglas
United States

Elo�s  "term that people use when someone is doing great and they are unable to be stopped"
probably describes it the best.

The confusion, I think, is when people say: "She�s so hot, she�s on fire." which is actually just a play on the "she�s hot" idiom.
Saying "she�s on fire" often implies attractive these days, but that is not really correct use of the idiom.

Languages change though, so listen to the children I say.

Note: personally, I have also seen this idiom used when refering to someone being extremely enthusiastic about something.

30 Oct 2014