Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Male or female?    

Male or female?

fathi
Tunisia

Male or female?

Hi colleagues,

How will you refer to the world ( female or male/he or she) in a play where Earth/our planet is a character? Thanks

30 Oct 2014      

manonski (f)
Canada

I believe Earth is a she.

30 Oct 2014     

Zora
Canada

Yup, the Earth is a she. 

30 Oct 2014     

sasuna
Algeria

like in Arabic it is a female

30 Oct 2014     

fathi
Tunisia

I agree with you all. Darth is female as we also refer to it as Mother Earth. What about the World?

30 Oct 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Definitely Mother Earth.

30 Oct 2014     

spinney
United Kingdom

Yep, Miss World. Wink

30 Oct 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

Most belief systems that anthropomorphize the earth do assign it the female gender. The one exception that I can think of is ancient Egyptian mythology, which had the earth as masculine and the sky as feminine.

30 Oct 2014     

jannabanna
France

Very funny Spinney!

Mother Earth for me too.

31 Oct 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

As said by the others above, in all religions it was the Goddess of the world or earth. Clearly feminine. However, when civilisation came into being, the old (male) hunters became scribes. Et voila, the pen is/was mightier than the sword (or spear and so on), and these scribes changed every �she� into �he� in the stories. Hence most people are a bit confused, like Moody. Luckily many still remember, that the feminie gods were the most powerful. After all, when God created man, she was only joking! Cheers, Peter. In Greek mythology, Gaia (/ˈɡeɪ.ə/ or /ˈɡaɪ.ə/; from Ancient Greek Γαῖα, a poetical form of Gē Γῆ, "land" or "earth";[1] also Gaea, or Ge) was the personification of the Earth,[2] one of the Greek primordial deities. Gaia was the great mother of all: the primal Greek Mother Goddess; creator and giver of birth to the Earth and all the Universe; the heavenly gods, the Titans, and the Giants were born to her. The gods reigning over their classical pantheon were born from her union with Uranus (the sky), while the sea-gods were born from her union with Pontus (the sea). Her equivalent in the Roman pantheon was Terra

31 Oct 2014