Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Can somebody explain it to me??    

Can somebody explain it to me??

teacher6579
Greece

Can somebody explain it to me??

Teaching the present perfect and the present perfect continuous I found the following in the grammar book:

How long has it been / is it since they have moved / moved to Brighton???

It has been / is months since I have heard / heard from him???

How can I explain them to my students???

17 Nov 2014      

ttuffl
Korea, South

I know other teachers will be eager to help you and while waiting,
why don �t you look through this thread ?

since they moved to Brighton, since I heard from him (Since S + V (past) 
has been or is : both seem to be used interchangeably in some places

17 Nov 2014     

Gi2gi
Georgia

I think that you should mention to your ss the general use of the tenses and also tell them that both the present perfect  and present perfect continuous is used to show that something started in the past and has continued up until now, over a period of time; therefore the since and for are used in both tenses. The difference is that in such a case present perfect is used for state (stative) verbs like be, have, know, want, own etc... and for "normal" verbs you use the present perfect continuous .
for example:
 I have known him since I came here (state verb, present perfect)  vs. I have been waiting for him since I came here ("normal", action verb, present perfect continuous). 

In  your sentence you have the verb "be" and, naturally, the present perfect should be used with for and since, because the action/situation has continued up to the present time and has not finished yet.

17 Nov 2014     

yanogator
United States

Just to add a little to Gi2gi �s excellent answer: With verbs that involve feelings, we can use the continuous, in order to emphasize that the feelings have been happening over time. I have been wanting to see that movie. I have been hoping to hear from you. I have been wishing for better weather. Bruce

17 Nov 2014