Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Looking for effective advice    

Looking for effective advice

sarabelle89
Algeria

Looking for effective advice

Dear Peers:
I have a big problem with my teaching method. I really don �t know where to start from I �m teaching for 3 years at high school I always had a problem from the start since I was a very shy person and someone who can �t express herself freely.  some people told me I can �t be a teacher but first I was �nt so eager to be a teacher and now I �m starting to love this job. My difficulty is that I don �t know how to control my class and establish discipline (I have 4 classes the average number of pupils is between 50 and 55 student per class. This problem occurs with my first year classes which are 3 and the 2nd year class are like angels) sometimes I get them all interested and quite but many times there are pupils who keep talking despite of my warnings I can �t be severe with them and if I tried I never keep on the same way. I feel pupils don �t fear me one of my peers advised me to be more severe with them and to make them fear me so I can teach at ease but I don �t know how to be severe and what �s worse is to be compared to other teachers (they control their class, they are severe....). My inspector told me to be severe and shout at them from time to time . I �m really lost 

24 Nov 2014      

Aurore
France

I have to admire any teacher who has between 50 and 55 students per class. I am a very experienced teacher but I too would have a problem with so many students. Don �t be so hard on yourself. It takes time, patience and certainly  firm discipline. If you love this job it will fall into place in time. Good luck.

24 Nov 2014     

cristina
Spain

Try to find effective punishments such as don �t go to the playground or extra homework. And, of course, don �t be afraid of being severe if not it will very difficult to control the class. And even mor with 50-55 students. I admire you really

24 Nov 2014     

stessenspaola
Argentina

I think this book can help you: you can downloaded from this site:
http://www.oldfashionedhomemaking.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Classroom-Management-Techniques.pdf
http://www.assafii.com/v1/web_documents/classroom_mgmt._that_works.pdf
 It provides useful advice on how to deal with disruption and misbehaviour. I hope it helps you

24 Nov 2014     

Mrleffajao
Morocco

Time heals all wounds. Gradually you �ll notice that you are getting on well with your students. This is thorny issue especially in your case because you �ve got 50-55 students to teach.  However,I think that size doesn �t matter... I �ve got a piece of advice to give you: try to make your students busy all the time (participating, doing exercises, etc...).Do always provide them with further activities, spare time activities.

24 Nov 2014     

stessenspaola
Argentina

I �ve been teaching in high school for some years, and I �ve learn that establishing a good rapport with students is as important as being firm. Try to connect with them, to show interest in their  affairs-this can be done at the beginning of the class or during the break. The second key point is motivation. Make your lessons interesting. Something that students really like is technology or contests so you can ask the to create their own videos in teams. Also give them choice-You can ask them to choose the topics they want to work with and what to do as a final task; students get more engaged and responsible when they can choose. If you have some disruptive students, talk to them outside the class, try to bond with them I can assure you they will change their behaviour. And last but no least, you can make a research on this topic or look for training course-but never listen the people who tell you that you can �t! My first years were also difficult but eventually it got better. Good luck!

24 Nov 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Dear Sarah. You are from Algeria, I see. A Muslim country, not? Do you still have corporal punishment, too? Otherwise I can �t understand the advice to be more severe and to shout. I am a corporal punishment survivor, and all it taught me was being disrespectful. The fear they tried to install in me, became aggression first, an defiance soon after.  Although my biggest classes were �only � 35 kids and adults (!), the problems you �re going through are very common. (Even with the adults.)  Stressen gives good advice: rapport, interest, connection, choice (gives them responsibility for their learning), the one-on-one �s outside class and the research. I can help with the latter. (mail me your email-address by PM so I can send attachments.)  For here and now I only want to add the understanding where they come from. Kids do things for a reason, like us. What are the rewards? Your understanding will help to connect. And to introduce rewards of your own. I don �t believe in punishment, but are in favour of giving them responsibilities (for any actions). Being stern means to me: say what you mean and mean what you say. Inconsistencies are the killer and cause of problems to begin with. Set only a few class-rules, simple and positively worded, and stick by them with the one, two, three method. Avoid discussions, and be stern with a smile. The rest  I gladly send by email. Keep smiling, and being shy is no crime. Use it in another way, and people will admire you for it: being you!  Not to forget: Life �s just an illusion.  Cheers, Peter

25 Nov 2014     

sarabelle89
Algeria

thank you everyone I �ll try my best

11 Feb 2015