Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > What is your opinion when a teacher asks children the question "Do you understand?"    

What is your opinion when a teacher asks children the question "Do you understand?"

KhongCoNick94
Vietnam

What is your opinion when a teacher asks children the question "Do you understand?"

Hello everybody!  I come from Viet nam. I study English Teacher Education (for primary school/ elementary)

I have to prepare one answer for test midterm. I �m not sure that i can make it but i have to give it a try!

" What is your opinion when a teacher asks children the question "Do you understand?"
In my  opinion:
It is not correct. Always ask students: "Do you understand ?"
When giving instructions and checking understanding, this question is not recommended, simply because students will always say, "Yes!" . They will be shy if say,"No!".
Effective to check understanding:
"What do you have to do?" "Then what do you do ?
" What is your opinion when a teacher asks children the question: "Do you understand?".
Nice to receive your opinions !
Please help me!
Thanks for your help ! 

6 Dec 2014      

Makigi
Croatia

I often ask my students that question concerning certain words (vocabulary). I explain vocabulary in English and Ss always tell me if they don �t understand a word, then I use L1, it �s a normal routine in my class. As for explaining grammar structures I don �t do that at all because I teach very young children. Hope this helps :)

6 Dec 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s not a recommended question as even if they say they do, they might be wrong. I still find myself doing it, though!

6 Dec 2014     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

I usyally say : Is it clear? And if something isn �t clear, they say Yes. :-)

6 Dec 2014     

dorralinda
Tunisia

Hi! I would like to interfere so I would ask my students the following questions:
Is it Clear? or shalll I repeat,?
If it is claer So I would ask them to give an example with a given new voc/ grammar rule...And If they are unable to give examples I would understand That it is not clear..................... 

6 Dec 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

http://www.bridgetefl.com/do-you-ccq-using-concept-checking-questions-in-the-esl-classroom/ talks about using concept checking quetions in the ESL classroom/
Example: You have introduced vocabulary for the rooms of the house in your lesson. You could check the understanding of the word �shower � by asking this question: "Where do you shower, in the living room or bathroom?" If the students answers "In the living room," the teacher knows that the student has not understood.

https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/checking-understanding has some clear guidelines and offers a few examples. 

6 Dec 2014     

isa2
Austria

PLEASE, could you reduce the size of your font? Thank you.

Enjoy your weekend.

6 Dec 2014     

KhongCoNick94
Vietnam

6 Dec 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Questions like "Is it clear?" tell you as little as "Do you understand?".  "Shall I repeat?" has a similar effect, namely that you still don �t know if your SS got some kind of understanding.  The only way, which has many variations, is the use of concept checking questions.  Redcamerocruiser �s links are all you need in order to learn on how to do that.  (Although you should have learned that at teacher �s College or so.)

So KhongCoNick, there is only one thing to do now: please respond to isa2 �s request an reduce the font, please? Cheers, Peter

6 Dec 2014