Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > The usage of "showery"...    

The usage of "showery"...

serzt
Turkey

The usage of "showery"...

Is the usage of showery correct in these sentences?
It’s very sunny here, but everything �s wet. It’s really showery in the Amazon rainforest.
We have a showery weather today, with some sunny intervals.

Is the word rainy and showery interchangeable in the following sentence?

The spring is quite rainy/showery in Britain. That’s why it’s such a green country.

Thank you for reading.

8 Dec 2014      

isa2
Austria

The examples are OK. But I would not say a showery weather. Drop the article.
Rainy and showery are synonyms. You can find more synonyms here.

8 Dec 2014     

yanogator
United States

In the US, at least, we really don �t use "showery" like we use "rainy". "sunny", "snowy" and "windy".. We see it as more of a "joke", parallelling the word "rainy."

Bruce

8 Dec 2014     

serzt
Turkey

I am confused about showery because I read that the type of precipitation in rainforests can �t be described as showery. Rainfall in rainforests is subbopsed to be persistent and is often a daily occurrence and is regular, showery is supposed to be intermittent. So in that sence we should say somethinge else. Amazon rainforest would not fit the pattern or what?

8 Dec 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Bruce is right. We don �t use the word showery, http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/138917/what-weather-forecasts-really-mean.pdf mentions showers instead of showery, although it  uses the word cloudy.

But I found a dictionary entry that uses the tropics as an example sentence for showery.

adjective
characterized by or abounding with showers :
the showery season in the tropics.

8 Dec 2014     

serzt
Turkey

@redcamarocruiser Bruce says they don �t use the word in the USA. In spoken language, American people may not use the word often but that does not mean the word is not  there in the language. I know how to use a dictionary and I looked it up in my dictionaries before starting this thread.
@isa2  I asked a specific question about shower in the context the sample sentence. Words like drizzling, saturate or saturated have nothing to do with the specific context I asked my question.

8 Dec 2014     

yanogator
United States

@serzt, You seem to be getting upset because people are giving you more information than you asked for. Maybe other members are interested in this additional information. Please just say "Thank you" and move on. If you don �t need that information, just ignore it. Bruce

8 Dec 2014     

douglas
United States

showery, as already stated, is not too common in the US, but when used it does tend to imply that the rain comes and goes vs pouring down  constantly.

8 Dec 2014     

FrauSue
France

Showery is used but I agree with the posters above that it is usually for lighter or intermittent rain. I wouldn �t use it for the Amazon rainforest.
It sounds more natural to say "There are lots of showers" or "with showers" when describing the weather, but it is an acceptable adjective.

8 Dec 2014     

alien boy
Japan

Showery isn �t common in Australia, either. When we talk or write about weather in the tropics (& Northerm Australia is tropical) we describe it as the �wet season �, not the �showery season �. We �d describe the weather as rainy. Rain can be described as �a shower �. We �d say �there will be light rain or showers. or heavy showers, I haven �t heard �showery weather � that I can recall, or read it commomly either.

Cheers,

AB 

9 Dec 2014