Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > none offfffffffffff    

none offfffffffffff

c3ga
Turkey

none offfffffffffff

helppppppppppppppppppp

which one is correct?

-none of the students are boys.

- none of the students is boy.

-none of the students is a boy.

and

-none of the students is angry

-none of the students are angry

-none of the student is angry

please help :) 

15 Jan 2015      

totonioski
Italy

Hello,

the subject of the sentence is None which is singular (none=zero) so it �s advisable to use a singular even if both, is/are, are grammatically correct.

I think it �s always advisable to use the singular.

15 Jan 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Sorry, but none has never existed in singular only. It isn�t a contraction of �no one�, as many people seem to think. A good rule of thumb would be to use the singular or plural agreement when you believe the context demands it � so "none of the students are..." would be fine for me in both cases.  Have a look here for a good explanation.

15 Jan 2015     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

I have been corrected by native speakers when I have used the plural in this case and now it sounds weird to me.

Yolanda

15 Jan 2015     

vivienne71
Greece

Although "none" is often used with a singular verb, it can definitely be followed by either a singular or plural verb if it refers to a countable noun.
"None of the drivers has/ have arrived."

16 Jan 2015