Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Comparative spelling rules    

Comparative spelling rules

cynthia_lv1
Peru

Comparative spelling rules

Good evening, I �m teaching comparative form to my students and I have a question about the spelling rules. There is a rule that says double the last consonant when you have Consonant-Vowel-Consonant. Are there exceptions to this rule? Because I found the adjective NEW ends in C-V-C but you don �t double the last consonant. I appreciate your help!

Cynthia 

22 Jan 2015      

MoodyMoody
United States

This is a spelling rule that is also used for the simple past and present participle (-ing) forms of verbs. Generally, with CVC-end of word pattern, the vowel is short. However, CVCV... generally produces a long vowel sound. This is why the rule exists in the first place. (English being English, though, there are many exceptions.)

However, this rule does not apply to w, x, or y. When w or y appear at the end of a syllable or word, they usually act as vowels, not consonants. X in English in the middle or end of a word is pronounced /ks/, and acts like two consonants. CVCC patterns usually produce short vowels as well, so doubling is not required. 

I hope this answered your question. 

22 Jan 2015     

cynthia_lv1
Peru

Thank you very much! This really helped me!

23 Jan 2015