Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > WHY does this sentence have to be correct? :)    

WHY does this sentence have to be correct? :)

PATTRICIAA
Argentina

This is why I love ESLprintables....

I do enjoy reading you all and learn so much from you...

Thank you all for all this display of knowledge. 

Hugs 

6 Feb 2015     

morenopalomares
Spain

I fully agree with Pattriciaa: I learn so much with your all my colleagues � expertise! Peter, coud you tell me if this is the link to the Amy Walker �s Dr Seuss that you have mentioned?
Thanks a lot for your help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80upyNcUBH0

6 Feb 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Well, Peter, that �s a rather...idiosyncratic summary of Wikipedia �s �History of English Grammars �, but as the title and chronology on that page suggest, it �s mainly about, well, English grammar books. Nothing whatsoever about a time when the rules were supposed to have been �made up � � although it does refer to some of the more egregious prescriptivists such as Lowth and Lindley Murray. Mind you, it gives a welcome nod in the direction of how the study of English grammar has developed descriptively � away from the old Greek and Latin models. And certainly, the Dane, Otto Jesperson, can take much of the credit for that.

6 Feb 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

You sound like my (English) wife, Almaz. Whenever I criticize the English, she gets up her high horse. No offence, as I love her very much :-)   Luckily there are many more, and better, sites than Wikipedia. The fact still stands that the grammar rules are made up by linguists who knew Latin, and who were, according to scholars, out of touch with how the majority of people spoke.

For those interested in the history of English grammar, check these out:

7 Feb 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

You are a card, Peter – "grammar rules are made up by linguists who knew Latin"? You still seem to be confusing grammar (the structure and patterning of a language) with grammar books (which either describe or prescribe). You don �t seriously believe that if a language has no written form, it can �t have its own grammar �rules �? If it �s not codified, it doesn �t exist?

Incidentally, my name �s Alex, I �m not English and I couldn �t give a monkey �s about anyone who criticises the English - although what that �s got to do with grammar is beyond me. :)

7 Feb 2015     

douglas
United States

Alex, you �ve got to admit though:"Well, Peter, that ´s a rather...idiosyncratic summary of Wikipedia ´s ´History of English Grammars " does sound pretty typical English.

I would love to hear this conversation live, it is hard to set accents to you guys, I usually "hear" you with an American accent, even though I know you are a Scot, Peter an Aussie. etc. ,etc.

Cheers,
douglas

9 Feb 2015     

< Previous   1    2