Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Which is correct, and why?     

Which is correct, and why?

Jennings Teacher
Korea, South

Which is correct, and why?

"the challenges deriving from individual differences" 

AND/OR 

"the challenges derived from individual differences"

I  am not a linguist, so when my co-teachers ask me questions like this I am at a loss for how to answer them.  I will appreciate any help you can offer. 

Thank you!

~Breanna Jennings 

9 Mar 2015      

maryse pey�
France

In the 1st sentence you can replace DERIVING by WHICH DERIVE l "the challenges which derive from individual difference make you stronger" (for example) The sentence is ACTIVE.

In the 2nd sentence DERIVED can be turned into WHICH ARE DERIVED : "The challenges which are derived from individual challenges are particularly interesting to note down." (for example) This sentence is PASSIVE.

-ING is indicating an active action, even in the adjectives whereas -ED is the mark of passive, even in the adjectives.

Hope my explanation is clear.

Have a good day.

Maryse.

10 Mar 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Excellent answer from Maryse.

10 Mar 2015     

Jennings Teacher
Korea, South

Thank you very much, Maryse! Your answer is clear and easy to understand. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. ^^ 

11 Mar 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Both Lynn and I have learned something here. Thanks, Maryssa (Your name according to the spell checker :-)

Image result for active cat 
Active

Image result for passive cat 

Passive 

12 Mar 2015