Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Would you rather...?    

Would you rather...?

MoodyMoody
United States

Would you rather...?

Hello, everyone!

I am working on budgets with my adult students, and I have decided to adapt the popular game Would You Rather? for them. I have a few choices for cards thought out, but I need more. So I thought I should ask for help, and also that we could make our own activity of it. I �ll start it off, and the next person will answer my question and propose another choice. Thanks in advance for your help.

Would you rather...
Have no coffee for a month or
Have no meat, poultry, fish, or shellfish for a month?

27 Mar 2015      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Would you rather have a shower or a bath? (supposedly you take a 10 min shower, you �ll use half the water)
Would you rather take a taxi or a subway/bus? (provided subway/bus is cheaper)
Would you rather play games on your phone or use it for calls and messages? (games make your battery low very quickly)
Would you rather book your summer holiday in winter or buy the trip in summer?  

28 Mar 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would rather have no coffee for a month. I would rather have a bath. 

Would you rather buy one expensive silk shirt or three cotton T - shirts?

28 Mar 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

Good ideas, Sophia and Lynne! Thanks for your help.

I would rather take a shower; take the subway or bus; my cell phone is dumb, so I can �t play games on it anyway; and I would rather plan my fall trip in the spring.

I would also rather have the three cotton T-shirts, Cotton doesn �t have to be dry-cleaned.

Would you rather get a 5-year-old car for free or a 2-week vacation to destination of your choice with nice accommodations, all expenses paid?

28 Mar 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Forget the car!  Give me the 2 week vacation to the destination of my choice (near where Mariethe lives) with nice accommodation and all expenses paid!  I�m ready to fly out tomorrow!!

Would you rather one pair of Jimmy Choo Tartini Square Pav� Crystal & Suede Pumps    OR   55 pairs of sensible shoes

28 Mar 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Sensible shoes, please.  Would you rather own a dog or a cat?

28 Mar 2015     

esldiego
Brazil

I would rather be at the beach.

28 Mar 2015     

Jayho
Australia

But esldiego, would you rather be at a crowded beach or a secluded beach?

Mary, a cat of course! But, you don �t own a cat - they own you!

Would you rather have tap water or bottled water?

Would you rather bring your lunch to work or buy it?

Would you rather rent a new release movie or watch a free-to-air movie on TV?

Would you rather video a concert you went to or buy their DVD?

Would you rather buy a book or borrow a copy from the library?

Would you rather go to a fancy restaurant or family restaurant?

Would you rather have a job where a uniform is provided or where you can wear what you like?

Would you rather work (study) part time or full time?

Would you rather an apartment in the inner city or a house on the outskirts of the city?

Would you rather coffee or tea?

So I�ve had coffee, lots of it, hence this list. And I�ve just realised that I can use it in my class tomorrow for discussion. Thank you Mary!

Cheers

Jayho

28 Mar 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

Yes, that �s why I originally started this thread, Jayho. I wanted to print cards with some choices for my students. I thought that it would also work as an activity for us. Many of these are great for my adult students, but this activity would work well with children, also. Thanks for the great questions!

My answers for your questions:

Tap water unless I visit somewhere where the local water is dicey. A lot of bottled water is glorified tap water anyway, and the bottles are wasteful

If I have to work after lunch (I usually don �t), I prefer to bring my lunch. I �m always afraid of getting back late.

I don �t watch movies or go to concerts, so the next two don �t apply to me.

I �ll buy the book. I �m so bad at remembering when to take them back that I accumulate significant fines anyway.

I like the fancy restaurants. Family-style cooking I can do myself. I might adapt this question to one meal at a fancy restaurant or three at the family restaurant.

I much prefer wearing my own clothes; I don �t have to do laundry so often.

I like working part time. If I needed the money more, then obviously full time is the way to go.

I like my house in the suburbs.

I hate even the smell of coffee and I will drink tea both hot or iced by the bucket.

(Others, feel free to answer Jayho �s questions too since there are so many.)

Here �s my next one:

Would you rather have no electricity for a week, or no running water for two days?

28 Mar 2015     

Mariethe House
France

Dear Jayho! I �ll take your word for it and shall be expecting you as soon as you can.

Just tell me: What would you rather have for breakfast? Croissants or French baguette with butter and home-made jam?  Big smile 

29 Mar 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hoy, Mariethe! What about me? I �ll have baguette with butter and jam and then a croissant. Je vous remercie en avance. ;)

29 Mar 2015     

1    2    Next >