Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > pronunciation of GH    

pronunciation of GH

Mariethe House
France

pronunciation of GH

What is the rule for the different pronunciations of GH , like in  Plough, dough, thought .... Why is it "f" in some cases and mute or "g" ? 

Thank you in advance my dear friends from all over the world!!

EDIT  Thank you Alex! Actually, I was expecting an answer from you , the best linguist ever!! Thank you Big smile

3 Apr 2015      

jean-in-japan
Japan

I don �t think there is a rule.  It �s just one of the (annoying) aspects of English spelling that comes from the fact that English vocabulary comes from so many other different languages.  

Slightly off-topic, but I read once that the silent �gh � was actually not silent hundreds of years ago.  Google could tell you more about this, but I think it was a soft aspirated   �ch � sound kind of like the Scottish �ch � in Loch Ness.   After a while the sound disappeared but its trace still remains in the written language.  

3 Apr 2015     

Mariethe House
France

Thank you very much Jean.

In fact, I did find something!  it isn � a rule but the link below explains the origin of 10 words using the "ough" suffix  with its different ways of pronouncing it! Quite interesting!

3 Apr 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

David Crystal devotes a whole chapter to the �ough� set in his book Spell It Out. He points out that some of the �ough� spellings are perfectly regular/systematic � it�s not the gh which causes the problems, but the vowels.

4 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

A rough rule is that gh at the beginning of a word is pronounced like g (ghost, ghoul),

Inside a word it is silent, unless it is part of a compound word (thought)

At the end, it is either silent (through) or pronounced like f (rough), and these just have to be memorized.

Bruce 

4 Apr 2015