Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Male or female?    

Male or female?

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

Male or female?

Hi Mob! Who do you think has better teaching strategies in a boys-only classroom, a male or a female teacher?

14 Apr 2015      

anitarobi
Croatia

This absolutely never ever makes any difference. It �s all about the attitude and whether you find the right balance between authority and inspiring guidance.

14 Apr 2015     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

In Women and the Teaching Profession, I read that pupils identify more easily with teachers of the same gender. This is true especially among young girls. Also, I read that male teachers have an important part to play in encouraging positive attitudes to study among young boys! By contrast, female teachers often have better communication skills than male teachers. I just wanted to learn about your opinions as most of you belong to different parts of the world.

14 Apr 2015     

spinney
United Kingdom

I went to an all male, working class school. If the teacher was "weak," male or female, we gave them hell. I �m just glad don �t have to teach a younger version of myself. My two favorite teachers were my English teachers, one was a woman and the other a man.

14 Apr 2015     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

Thanks Spinney for your honest reply. So it all depends on the teacher �s personality, be it strong or weak, regardless of the gender! This is quite interesting, and I do agree with you. But the setting in which I teach is different. Male teachers teach boys and female teachers teach girls.

14 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I sort of agree. I think boys think they prefer male teachers, but when you look around and notice who are the really successful teachers, there is a mix. 
Having said that, an excellent strategy that some male teachers can adopt, and was expounded to me by a male colleague, is �top dog.� �They are the pack and I am the leader.� I work in a boys� school and I am �favourite aunt�. ;-)))

14 Apr 2015