Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Vocabulary questions    

Vocabulary questions

Pedro14
Spain

Vocabulary questions

Hi there,

Last week I stumbled on this website while trying to find new stuff for my clases. I was amazed  and today I �ve decided to register. I �m a newby with the internet and I just can handle with the basic things. I admit I �m a bit of a technophobe despite my age - I �m 25. Anyway, I �d like to say hello to everyone and ask you some vocabulary related questions which I haven �t been able to look up in the dictionary.
 First, does anyone happen to know if there is an idiom in English to express that something is very unlikely to happen? One of my advanced students asked me some days ago and I couldn �t give him an answer. In Spanish we say "When pigs fly".
Second, is there any other coloquial expression smilar to "What a drag"? Whenever i tell my students they have to do something and they don �t feel like it, they tend to say that expression. Could they say "what a nuisance" instead?
Third, In Spain some workers may be given some time off their work -  a year or two- so as to get a language certificate, needed to continue working in their posts. In Spanish this idea is lexicalized, "liberar" What about English? I told my student this could be expressed saying "be given some time off work" I couldn �t think of any other way.In some dictionaries it is said "be freed", which I don �t find to be natural at all.

Thanks for your time and assistance. 

19 Apr 2015      

Leland
China

Fat chance, when hell freezes over, when pigs fly

19 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Leland �s answers are good. �Fat chance � is common. 
�What a nuisance � is a bit priggish! Mine always just say, �Bor-ing! This is bor ..... ing! � This response used to drive me crazy until I went on a course and the correct response to this kind of thing is, �Well, maybe it is, but let �s get on with it... �  

Sometimes people have a sabbatical to do a course or improve their skills.

Welcome to this wonderful site,

Lynne 

19 Apr 2015     

karagozian
France

I used to Be a technophobe at almost 60, and still am a little bit. I can tell you that this site is fabulous and helped me out of that lethargic situation. It gave a new sense to my teaching. Before you know you will find it fun. Do try and you will soon be happy to make part of this fantastic family. I cannot imagine teaching anymore without it Thank you ESL Printables !!!

19 Apr 2015     

maryse pey�
France

What about the GAP YEAR for the year you will attend a language course ?

19 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Maryse, students take a gap year and they go off to exotic places or get a job. Workers - and it tends to be academics, go on a sabbatical, usually for a year or two. They follow a course of study which will help them in their post, or something they have always wanted to do. I haven �t heard of anyone doing this for a long time and I think it is to do with austerity. 

Lynne 

19 Apr 2015     

maryse pey�
France

Thanks Lynne for the explanation. I wondered if I was right and you answered my question.

19 Apr 2015     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Hi.

To express the belief that something is highly unlikely, you could also say "...and I �m a monkey �s uncle...".
Obviously as an idiom the words in the phrase make no sense if you break them down.

Regarding time taken off work in order to study, there is the simple phrase "___ leave" as in "study leave", for example.

Welcome to ESLP, I hope you enjoy it and can make good use of it.

19 Apr 2015     

joy2bill
Australia

When pigs fly.....when the sea turns to yohurt.
What a drag....bummer
Welcome to our site. Don �t worry about being a techniphobe. I have learnt so much since I have been on this site and I am in my sixties. So enjoy! 

19 Apr 2015