Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > need help for outdoor activities to practise vocabulary    

need help for outdoor activities to practise vocabulary

dmharg
Greece

need help for outdoor activities to practise vocabulary

My dear friends, I need your halp once again. Now that the weather is finally hot an sunny (it was about time haha) I need some ideas about having a lesson in the garden. There are olive trees, fig trees, apricot trees, lots of grass, a chicken coop a green house with vegetables and many more things. Today I tried something and the kids were excited but I really need more ideas. Please could you help me?

24 Apr 2015      

sarguero
Spain

What about making a GREEK SALAD outdoor?

Resultado de imagen de greek salad

You can talk about the ingredients and things you need to make it  (vocabulary) , the recipe and process (verbs, ordinals) and speaking about healthy food against fast food. Finally you can eat the salad and the fruit of the trees (if they are ripe fruit, of course), Vocabulary about farm animals and the orchard should be useful too.

Don �t  forget to add the marvellous Feta cheese

Another exercise: You can try speaking about the parts of trees and plants and then, make a poster about them or a classification about types of leaves.
Resultado de imagen de parts of a treehttp://www.rhodyman.net/images/leaf.gif

A description contest using the animals (speaking or writing) or a spelling game with plants and animals, too.

24 Apr 2015     

Halildurak
Turkey

Running dictation is a fun game to play outside.

24 Apr 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Grandfather clock what time is it?

This is a game. Have the students line up at one end of the yard/field facing the teacher.(The teacher is designated the clock) All together the students shout, " Grandfather clock what time is it?" The teacher chooses a number and says for example, "2 o �clock". The students must each take 2 steps forward, toward the teacher. The students ask again and the teacher again says a number, and the students move forward that number of steps. This continues until one student reaches the teacher and touches (tags) him/her. That student is the winner and he becomes the new clock.

I forgot to mention that if the teacher calls out Midnight! everyone can race to the teacher to tag her without counting their steps.

I looked for  a video of the game being played and could only find this variation, but it is similar and very clearly explained. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4bvuLlF0_Y
I prefer to face the class, and let the children tag me. The variation has the teacher�s back to the class, and the teacher chases the students when she calls out dinner time!

24 Apr 2015     

Carolinenjnc
United States

Thanks for sharing! I love it and will use it!

24 Apr 2015     

dmharg
Greece

Thank you all so much. This is what I did on the first day. I divided the children in two teams. Then I wrote on the board sentences for both teams such as � �There is a monkey on the olive tree � �, � �There is a gorilla on the fig tree � �, � �How many trees are there in the garden? How many apricot trees etc. I forgot to tell you that first I hide some flashcards on the trees, in the green house and everywhere in the garden I could thing of. The first team gathering all the flashcards and answering all the questions correctly was the winner. Kids loved it. But I really need sth different each week

26 Apr 2015     

dmharg
Greece

Oh and Sarguero thank you for your tip but we eat greek salad and feta every day so it isn �t something unknown for the kids. Thanks for your advice though :D

26 Apr 2015