Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > question tag for"Let us"    

question tag for"Let us"

Ruwayda37
Egypt

question tag for"Let us"

Hello dear members

I read in a book that the question tag for "Let �s" is "shall we?" and that the question tag for "Let us" is "will we?"I agree with the first point but I think that the second one (that the question word for "Let us" is "will we?") is not right and I �m not sure about that. Could you clarify this for me please?

24 Apr 2015      

yanogator
United States

Definitely "shall we" and not "will we", because "Let �s" is a suggestion, and we use "shall we" for suggesting things. In addition, though, it �s good to know that this is a formal usage. In everyday English (at least in the US), it would be "Let �s go to a movie. OK?".

Bruce 

24 Apr 2015     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thanks, Bruce but does that mean that there is no difference between "Let us" and "let �s" and the question tag for "Let us" is "shall we?" not "will you?"

24 Apr 2015     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

The tag "Will you" is for orders. Stand up, will you? The Tag Used for suggestions is "shall we"! Let �s go to the movies = shall we go to the movies. Shall and will are used interchangeably when we want to express future intentions with the first singular and first plural pronouns (I & We). For instance: �we shall wait for our turn � equals �we will wait for our turn �. I hope this humble clarification will resolve the issue. Have a grea day!

25 Apr 2015     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thanks so much for your clarification.

25 Apr 2015     

mohzayat
Egypt

when we say " Let us " it is formal , so it is not suggestion but it is for taking permission , So the doer is "You". so the tag will be " Will you? or " won �t you"
I wish I have added something
thanks a lot.

25 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

To answer your new question to me, "Let �s" is just the contraction of "Let us", so they are the same. Now that I think of it, "Let us" really is no longer in use, except in church when someone says "Let us pray". I �ll repeat that the correct tag is "shall we?", but this is used only in a formal sentence. I �m sorry to have to disagree with mohzayat, but I don �t think anyone would use "will you?" or "won �t you?" as the tag.

Bruce

25 Apr 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I wonder if  anyone has ever heard "Let us go to the movie, won �t you?" or

"Let us have a cookie, won �t you?"

It sounds to me as if it could be a short form of this structure using will: 

"You;ll let us borrow your notes, won �t you?"

In other words, "You �ll let us go to the movies, won �t you?" and "You �ll let us have a cookie, won �t you?" 

25 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

Great point, Red. My mind was stuck on the original question, so your excellent examples didn �t occur to me. Yes, "Let us" is frequently used, especially within families, for asking permission, as your excellent examples show. This is a totally different situation from "Let �s", which is a contraction of "Let us", and is used to suggest an activity together.

My apologies to mohzayat for operating on a faulty assumption in my answer.

Bruce 

25 Apr 2015     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thanks so much every one for taking the time to help me. I really benefitted a lot.

25 Apr 2015