Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Lesson idea - pieces of me.     

Lesson idea - pieces of me.

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Lesson idea - pieces of me.

I set off doing a worksheet, but got stuck as it involved maths and I �m a maths dunce:-( I did marry a maths teacher though, to make up for it...

Ask your students to draw a large circle. Then, they have to divide it up - using protractors(?) into various sections. I �ve seen this done for activities, but this time, it is about lifestyle/personality. What percentage of them is: son/daughter/brother/sister/friend/student/reader/sports player/gamer/helper/bully/whinger/joker/trouble maker/...etc and any categories they want to add. Good for vocab practice but also for the social and moral aspect - gets them thinking about who they are. They could then do pair work: Do they agree with each other �s self perception?
Or something like this... I have adapted this from the great and the one and only Mr Larry Ferlazzo.  

Lynne  

2 May 2015      

yanogator
United States

Skip the protractors, Lynne. You certainly know how to divide up a pie chart (You just draw lines from the center to mark it into wedges). It won �t be strictly proportional, but that �s not what you �re teaching. It sounds like a great activity, but I �m unclear on how they get the information to put into the chart.

Bruce

2 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you, Bruce! Pie chart, that is it.  They have to evaluate themselves. The original activity, posted by the great Larry, was different. Students marked each category out of 100 and made bar charts. I guess it �s just to make them think about what kind of a person they are and what is important to them. If I did this, I would have a small sliver stating �eslprintables member and proud. � 

Lynne 

2 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Now I understand, Lynne. They should analyze themselves, then determine which characteristic is the biggest part of them, and make a big wedge to represent that, and so on with wedges of various sizes, until the circle is filled. I think it could go very well.

You should make one for yourself, so you can see what the experience is like. Then you can better guide them with theirs. 

Bruce

2 May 2015     

sarguero
Spain

Just in case........ here is a Chart tool generator   

3 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you Jose.

3 May 2015