Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help with sports!    

help with sports!

annana
Italy

help with sports!

I am teaching sports vocabulary and I don �t know which is correct. Do you say do fencing or go fencing? The textbook I used last year (OUP) suggested go for all sports ending in -ing (swimming, horseriding, sailing and so on..).I assumed it had to do with the fact that all these sports imply covering some kind of distance, but it was also applied to fencing.

The textbook I am using at the moment (OUP again!) says that for sports where you fight you use do (fencing, boxing). Which one is correct? Thank you

3 May 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s not something you hear very often. I have some students who box, do or go boxing. I have some students who fence, do fencing or go fencing. Sorry not to be more helpful. I �ve replied to show that I don �t think anybody would quibble about using either �go � or �do � fencing. There is a slight difference in nuance. My students do boxing - (the class is just next door). Others go fencing (that �s at a club some distance away). 

3 May 2015     

starryargenta
United Kingdom

I agree with Cunliffe...however, I would say �My son does fencing once a week. � OR �My son goes to fencing class once a week. �  OR �My son goes fencing once a week. � All are correct.... and by the way, my son actually does do fencing every Monday!

3 May 2015     

annana
Italy

Thank you very much!

3 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Their answers are correct, but I will add that they are all a little (and only a little) awkward. What sounds best is "My son fences on Mondays".

What sports are offered at his school?
Basketball, football and fencing.
What does he do?
Fencing

or

He fences.

Bruce 

3 May 2015     

joannajs
Poland

Both my twin daughters are fencers :-D
When they actually go to their practice I �d say "Kinga and Klara go fencing three times a week".
When I talk generally I �d say "They do fencing" or "They fence"

Being teenage girls they say that "the way to a man �s heart is through his rib cage"  ;-)

3 May 2015     

melissab
Argentina

How about practice? It �s a good way to solve this problem and not have the different nuances of do and go.

He practices fencing.
She practices gymnastics.

Since in both cases it refers to a sport that requieres dedication and repetition.
Hope this helps you out.

4 May 2015