Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > ROUND or AROUND    

ROUND or AROUND

skudjova
Bulgaria

ROUND or AROUND

Hi, everybody! I need your help. Please,tell me what is correct or appropriate: round or around in the sentence - Animals round/around the world. What is the difference between the two words in this case exactly or both are correct?

21 Feb 2009      

libertybelle
United States

I found this on a forum site:
adv.
In a circular progression or movement; around.
With revolutions: wheels moving round.
To a specific place or person: called round for the pastor; sent round for the veterinarian.

Adj:
the round table, the coin is round.

I learned to say Animals all around the world.

21 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Animals around the world.  Not sure why but this is just what it is. 

Around is generally an adverb but it can also be a preposition
On the other hand round can be a verb, noun, adjective,adverb, preposition depending on the context.

They both have multiple definitions and both are regularly used colloquially. Check a good dictionary for examples of usage.  I think they are interchangeable e.g. some say a round the world ticket, and some say an around the world ticket.  Both are often acceptable, but not in your example because it must be around, animals around the world.

Cheers

Jayho

21 Feb 2009     

skudjova
Bulgaria

Thank you, libertybelle and Jayho. That was my opinion, too,but wasn �t sure. A colleague of mine wrote: Animals round the world and it seamed to me wrong. Now I know I was right. Smile Thanks once again.

21 Feb 2009