Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Phrasal Verbs    

Phrasal Verbs

spinney
United Kingdom

By the way, when I was in the forces many, many years ago, "to fill in" could also mean "to brief" or "to update." Nowadays, I usually hear "bring up to speed" used in the same way. It was also used in a similar way to "beat up" (as in seriously hurt using physical violence). Now my question is, I watch a number of American TV series and I often hear "beat on" somebody; is it the same as "beat up" or does it just mean to hit once or twice? 

11 May 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Dale, you�re right about the other meaning of �fill in�: beat the sh*t out of someone. 

By the way, I �d be up for anything you can do on how phrasal verbs differ depending on which version of English you use. 

11 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Fill in � is the usual expression as regards filling in (completing) a form, however, it �s one of those strange occasions when things which look like opposites mean the same.   �Fill out � does mean the same as �fill in. �
Our lads (northern English) �bang each other out � = beat each other up. 
�Fill out �  can mean �get fat. � �My god, she �s filled out! �.

Looking forward to your ws, Dale! 

Edit: �jack in� means to pack in i.e. finish, throw in the towel, give up. 

11 May 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I don �t think that the expression "to beat on someone" has any limit of how long or hard you beat them.  It sounds intimidating to me, but I don �t engage in the culture of violence.  

Mary 

11 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Spinney,

To qualify for "beating", it must be more than just a couple of strokes. So, to beat on someone isn �t explicit about time or severity, but it is more than just hitting him or her once or twice, and usually not to the extent of beating someone up.

Bruce 

11 May 2015     

lewisronaldc
United States

Doesn �t  the difference in the English language make our job more fun?

Ron 

11 May 2015     

spinney
United Kingdom

@KWSP It looks as if you �ve opened a can of worms here. Great post!
@ Mary, Same here, way too much violence in the world! This planet could definitely do with less of it.
@ Bruce, thanks for the info. Really helpful as usual. 
@ Ron, isn �t that the truth?!
@ Almaz and Lynne, I �ll get on to that worksheet as soon as my guest leaves. I have to design new material for some Linguistic Immersion camps for the summer. That could be a nice little exercise.
Sorry for highjacking your post, KWSP! Embarrassed

12 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

There is a line in a famous song, the name of which eludes me just now, but I used to love it.

�With a brat like that always on your back, what can you do - oo?

(Refrain) Beat on the brat, beat on the brat, beat on the brat with a baseball bat, oh yeah! �

Just thought I �d share that!
Lynne

12 May 2015     

Minka
Slovenia

This one?

12 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Minka, thank you! It �s even better than I remember!

12 May 2015     

< Previous   1    2