Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Urgent help needed    

Urgent help needed

İbrahim Arif
Turkey

Urgent help needed

_____ mother feels love for her child.

a) A        b)The   c) Nothing

Which one is correct? 

Thanks in advance. 

12 May 2015      

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

A mother is the correct answer. This mean that it could be any mother... The idea is general but not specific.

12 May 2015     

Logos
Malaysia

Actually either could be correct �A � or �The �  The problem is that there is no context.  Without knowing the situation both sentences could be correct.  I accept the more natural one is �A �, but what if prior to this sentence the question was asked: "in the story (whatever story doesn �t matter) who felt the most love for the child, the mother or the father?"

This is one of the biggest problems about giving comprehension questions in isolation 

12 May 2015     

douglas
United States

Greetings Logos,

I haven �t heard from you in a long time. Just the other day I was wondering how you were doing.

Cheers,
Douglas

12 May 2015     

kuka242
Belgium

A

12 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Logos is right that "A mother" is the best choice with no context, but "The mother" might be correct in certain situations.

Bruce

12 May 2015