Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "will" for present habits    

"will" for present habits

Gi2gi
Georgia

"will" for present habits

I was wondering, how common is it to use will for present habits? Like in the sentences below: She �ll have a cup of tea every morning and then go out for a stroll. (She does it regularly in the present, "will" does not refer to the future). And another one: She will enter the room with her dirty shoes on (I guess, the "will" here in its full, uncontracted form suggests the speaker �s annoyance to someone �s present habit). I would love to hear your comments if my conclusions are correct and about how common is such a structure in your dialect...

22 May 2015      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Giorgi,

As you know, I enjoy answering your questions because of their depth. My answer will apply only to US English, because I think this usage is less common here than in other countries.

Using "will" for habitual behavior is recognized here, but not often used. We would view it as a literary usage - found in literature but not in conversation. That changes somewhat if we add a condition to the sentence.

On cold mornings, she will wear a fuzzy bathrobe while she fixes breakfast. We use it especially if there is a frequency adverb added: On cold mornings, she will often wear a fuzzy bathrobe..."

The other use of "will", which is using the verb in its original sense of "using the will, doing something willfully", is pretty rare in the US.

Bruce 

22 May 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Hi, Bruce. Thank you cordially for your answers. It is a real joy to read them,since no textbook can offer such in-depth explanations. Having gained confidence, I will pass this information on to my curious upper-intermediate students tomorrow. :) cheers

22 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

You �re welcome, Georgi, but I would recommend seeing what the British English crowd has to say first.

Bruce

22 May 2015     

Minka
Slovenia

What about phrases? Is the phrase "Boys will be boys", for instance, often used in the US?

22 May 2015     

ninon100
Russian Federation

And Friends Will Be Friends!!! (QUEEN) 
:) 

23 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Yes, we do have some fixed expressions that we still use in the US with that use of "will".

Bruce

23 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It seems to be used rarely for habitual action these days and I go along with what Bruce says. Of course, this usage would be recognised and wouldn �t raise any eyebrows.

It is used more frequently to express annoyance and sometimes with �insist �.  He will insist on coming in with filthy shoes on...  

23 May 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Thank you, Lynne. :)

23 May 2015