Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > let īs not go vs. Don īt let īs go.    

let īs not go vs. Don īt let īs go.

Pedro14
Spain

let īs not go vs. Don īt let īs go.

Hi there, Hope you īre all in the pink of health. I badly need your help. Is there any diference between the above mentioned sentence? When are they used? Thanks a bunch.

28 May 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would say that the first, īLet īs not go � is an opener; a starting point. The second one, īDon īt let īs go �, is a response. The idea of going is up for discussion and nearly agreed to. It īs a bit stronger. I īm not certain... Just my opinion. 

28 May 2015     

Pedro14
Spain

Up to the other day I had always taught that the second one didn īt exist. I feel embarrassed of myself. Would you be so kind to give me a brief context to get the idea much better? I don īt Really get the difference, your explanation is excellent though.

28 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, I was about to ask whether the second one was grammatically correct, or even existed, but so many linguists say that if it īs spoken, it īs fine. It makes sense as an utterance, although I doubt if it would be accepted as correct in any test. 

28 May 2015     

spinney
United Kingdom

Lynne is right. "Don īt let īs go," grammatically speaking, is not correct. However, you may hear it said said in certain areas of England and should be considered as informal regional dialect. I couldn īt say where though.

28 May 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

To me "Don īt let īs go there" is a softer, more gentle imperative than "Don īt go there." (because it includes the speaker in the admonition instead of being a harsher, more direct command). "Let īs not go there" is also softer than "Don īt go there". It feels softer than "Don īt let īs go there" to me, the former being more of a suggestion and the latter an imperative.

28 May 2015     

Tere-arg
Argentina

To make a negative suggestion, do not say īlet īs don īt �. Use let īs not• Let īs not tell anyone about this.• Let īs not go out tonight.Speakers of British English also sometimes say don īt let īs• Don īt let īs argue.

28 May 2015