Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > SUPER HELP NEEDED: TEACHING ADULTS!!!!    

SUPER HELP NEEDED: TEACHING ADULTS!!!!

miss_alejandra
Argentina

SUPER HELP NEEDED: TEACHING ADULTS!!!!

HELLO FRIENDS!
I need to teach a class of 35 adults students on Wednesday, it is my first class teaching older students, since I only teach in primary and kinder. PLEASE HELP! TheY are BEGINNERS!
I am required to teach PRESENT SIMPLE with he, she, it in a way that is suitable for them and I do not know how to present the topic, in which context??? Please help, I will be waiting for your kind replies! 

8 Jun 2015      

stessenspaola
Argentina

Hi try this site, I use it a lot in my conversation lessons with adults: http://www.teach-this.com/
Hadway Elementary is also a great text book 

8 Jun 2015     

miss_alejandra
Argentina

thank you very much!

8 Jun 2015     

Aurore
France

You can find plenty of ideas on YouTube by typing Teaching adults or adult groups. Have fun!

8 Jun 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

http://busyteacher.org/search.html?q=adults

8 Jun 2015     

MarcosHA
Spain

I �ve had adult beginners, but never a class as big as that one. Adults usually feel more comfortable with doing things more analytically and with grammar explanations, so don �t overthink it. If it �s adult beginners and you need some kind of background to teach the present simple, go for the survival skills adults will find more useful. Maybe you �d prefer to start with the verb to be in present simple, that �d be the logical thing to do: you want to get to know your students and have them talking, so why not start with the introductions?

In any case, don �t rush it. Both for present simple with other verbs and with the verb to be, you may not want to start with all of the different subjects/personal pronouns at once. Open your hand slowly. Focus on talking about oneself, then about talking about their addressee (second person of singular), then about talking about other people....

Think that you have a lot to teach them just in the way of introductions: What is your name? What is your family name? How old are you? Where are you from? What �s your nationality? What �s your phone number? What �s your address?... The affirmative and interrogative will give them more than enough material to initiate exchanges among themselves... and see that you teach them vocabulary necessary to answer them, like numbers, etc.

Best wishes!

8 Jun 2015     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I would recommend to use a course book like"Headway" for example. Even if the school doesn �t use one,it would be easier for you to follow a clear line. Then yo can prepare your own worksheets or take some from here.   

9 Jun 2015     

Maria Linz
Brazil

Hi, Alejandra!
I �ve just started a beginners � group and here is what I am doing:
students don �t have a book, but I follow Interchange I. I type the dialogues (they are very easy, so students don �t get scared), and i prepare a lot of games and activities. From what i have studied, adults need a lot of different activities as they don �t learn as easily as children and teenagers. Physical movement and music is very important. Lots, lots of games, competitions. In this website you can find a lot of stuff. I �ll be pleased to help you and to exchange ideas, if you need. My email is [email protected].
Good luck! 

9 Jun 2015     

melissab
Argentina

BOTH headway and Interchange are very good. I �ve used them  and liked them very much. I agrre that you should teach them the rules and then get them talking. Even if they sound like Tarzan. It helps the grammar rules to stick. Good luck!

9 Jun 2015