Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Help needed for a dyslexic student!    

Help needed for a dyslexic student!

pulce
Italy

Help needed for a dyslexic student!

I teach in Lower Secondary School, my students are in the 11-13 age bracket and I only have 3 hour lessons a week and lots of different needs and problems to deal with.

Could anyone give me some  very simple and practical ideas about Efl teaching to students with dyslexia?
I know there is plenty of resources  on the web, but they mainly tend to give general information on dyslexia.

What I need are clear, practical strategies I could use to help my student.

Thank you

22 Feb 2009      

demeuter
Belgium

As a remedial teacher I use following method :

1. In Belgium students with dyslexie can use grammar guides with tests.
2  You have different   levels of dyslexie. For student with serious problems you do the test orally.
3. In other cases you give  those students exercises to complete with words and not with sentences.

Karina

22 Feb 2009     

goodguy
Zambia

Hi,
Please try carlscorner.com Here you get plenty of sight word readings. In fact my son who is dyselexic learnt reading through these. The readings are beautifully featured and my child enjoyed reading them.
All the best.
Ramola

22 Feb 2009     

magherinis
Italy

I teach in a primary school in Italy. I �ve got students with dyslexia and it is very difficult for them when we work on writing or reading. Sometimes, in my opinion  they make a great and  useless effort to write or  copy. The law (Protocollo 4099/A/4-5/10/2004) in Italy says that you should take into account only the oral work, and it explains that sometimes children can be exempted from writing in English)  I usually work with them (when it is not possible to create a small group where they can work and they can be helped by their mates too) when we face written exercises. They use grammar guides.

22 Feb 2009     

Greek Professor
Greece

Hi pulce,

I stumbbled across this site looking for something else... take a look... well i hope it helps in one way..

Greek Professor

22 Feb 2009     

pulce
Italy

Hello,
I �ve just found the link!
Thank you so much.

22 Feb 2009