Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > More and the most    

More and the most

fingerkiss
Venezuela

More and the most

HI everyone, I need your help and I would appreciate your comments. The following sentences work with comparative and superlative.

Jenny didn´t study anything for the test. I studied more.
I studied the most.  

Can you tell me if the use of "more" and "the most" is correct? please, add some extra exercises. 

25 Jul 2015      

yanogator
United States

According to the formal "rules", you can �t use the superlative with only two people/things, but in practice, it is definitely used, so your sentences are correct.

Bruce

25 Jul 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

It �s generally accepted by most grammarians nowadays that because the superlative is the default for set comparison (i.e. comparison between the members of a set � as in "the smallest in the class"), there is nothing ungrammatical about a sentence like "George and Linda were the only candidates, and Linda was clearly the best". Alejandro �s set consists of two people (Jenny and I), so that is why "the most" is acceptable if you �re referring to the set, but if it �s a straightforward term comparison (expressing the relationship between them), then you �d expect to use "more" (i.e. more than Jenny).

And before anyone jumps down my throat (you know who you are), I �m perfectly aware that the comparative is also used in a set comparison when there are only two members, particularly in an explicit of phrase: John is the smaller of the two.

Alex

26 Jul 2015     

blondie88
Australia

The comparative is used when comparing 2 things. Superlative is used to compare 3+.
t

26 Jul 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Well, blondie88, that is most interesting...

Actually, it reminds me of the scene in one of the Hornblower books when Horatio receives a letter from his wife which starts, "My dearest husband..." which starts him off imagining what her other husbands are like.

26 Jul 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Almaz, if you are referring to me, then OMG, I wouldn �t dare! ;-)

26 Jul 2015     

fingerkiss
Venezuela

Thank you again. Your information was very useful. God bless you all.

26 Jul 2015