Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Hi friends,    

Hi friends,

Naoom
Palestine

Hi friends,

Hi friends,
Im in a bad need for your help .I have three sentences to teach present simple.
1.people often get stuck in their comfort zones
2.clubs and societies are a vital part of college life
3.It seems as if everyone is speaking different language 
How can I teach present simple through these sentences
 Whats the difference here between (get--are(be))?
When do we use get and when do we use verb to be? 
Waiting for your reply
Thanks

24 Aug 2015      

Minka
Slovenia

I �m not sure why you should use these sentences to teachpresent simple, I  would probaly use different ones. 

I think "get" in this sentence means "become" as opposed to just being stuck. But you can also see "get stuck" as a phrasal verb.

24 Aug 2015     

colmhall
Japan

In the second sentence �get � has the meaning of �become �. So there is a difference, between "He got angry" and "He is angry." 
With �get �, we can say things like "Get well soon" or "Don �t get married" and the meaning is like become.

�Seem � has the meaning of   �appear. �  Something might be true, or it looks like it is true, but it may not be. It is just how it seems.

24 Aug 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

I agree with the others. "Get" has a sense of dynamism, while "be" has a sense of state. As for "seem", it is a stative verb, so it is almost never used in continuous tenses. You could not say "it is seeming", "it seems" (present simple) is the only option in your example.

24 Aug 2015     

Naoom
Palestine

lots of thanks to all of you.
I have to use these sentences Minka as they are part of our school book. 

24 Aug 2015     

Minka
Slovenia

I don �t know your situation, but I would definitely introduce present simple in another way, with more examples from everyday life and then use the text in the book. If you absolutely have to build your lesson on these sentences, then of course you have to find a way to do it, I understand that compleely. 

24 Aug 2015     

SaraMariam
United States

Every time, when I see books that use such examples .. I wonder WHY?. The vocabulary is so advanced, you would believe that somebody who got to the point of understanding such words would not have to learn "to be" or the present tense anymore.
Or am I the only one wondering about that? Is there a higher reason behind it that I didn �t understand yet? Maybe for special occasions, business English etc? I �m really curious about that.

25 Aug 2015