Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can you help me , please ?     

Can you help me , please ?

florimago
Spain

Can you help me , please ?

Hi, there !

I would like you to help me with this passive which , to tell you the truth is puzzling me  . The sentence is "  My sister loves people telling her stories " . Though Ithink  the right answer is "  My sister loves being told stories"  , I �m not sure if "  My sister likes her stories being told " would be another right option . 

Thanks in advance for your comments !

Flori  

2 Sep 2015      

Gi2gi
Georgia

Hi, Fiori,

My sister loves people telling her stories 

The sentence is correct, although it is not a passive. Here we have something which is called a  complex object.

Other examples of complex objects are: I saw people dancing. I want you to stay, etc.

My sister loves being told stories 
Here we have the Passive Gerund, also correct. It means other people are  telling the stories and my sister is (hopefully :) ) listening. 

My sister likes her stories being told
Also correct, but it means that my sister is the author of the stories and other people are telling the stories.

Hope this helps,

Giorgi 

2 Sep 2015     

florimago
Spain

thanks , Giorgi, I wasn´t quite sure about if the second option was right . 

2 Sep 2015