Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Activities with songs    

Activities with songs

stefania.r
Italy

Activities with songs

Hi dear colleagues!

I have to write a short essay for a course regarding activities to do with songs in the primary school. 
Can you tell me what activities do you do with your young pupils, please? Or have you got some useful links about it? 
Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions. :)

2 Sep 2015      

SaraMariam
United States

Hi Stefania

how I usually teach songs is that I either teach the vocabulary in the song up front or I show them video with a cartoon that shows the action of what �s happening in the song. If I use flashcards, I play some games with them such as hide and seek or any other vocabulary game really. Then I have the children come up with their own gestures that we then use in the song. That �s also a good way to revise vocab in the next lesson (you do the gestures they came up with and they guess which word it was). Then i sing the song for the kids and make sure they understand everything, then they sing with me. Then I usually follow things with a craft activity  or a worksheet where they fill out missing words, but also are allowed to color (for example a text with blanks and b&w pictures behind the blanks).

But there are so many ways to go about this. You can use physical activities as well (like TPR), depending on what song you are teaching. Reenacting the song if it �s a short story ... 
I �m sure you will get many more ideas from the other teachers as well :)

Good luck on your essay, Stefania :)
Sara 

2 Sep 2015