Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > which sentence is true?    

which sentence is true?

parsland
Iran

which sentence is true?

in these three sentences , which sentence is true ?

the child had been deaf since birth.

the child has been deaf since birth.

the child was deaf since birth.

19 Oct 2015      

ldeloresmoore
China

All are correct for different reasons -- 

1) Says that the child was born deaf, but then something changed.

2) Says that the child was born deaf and is still deaf now

3) Says that the child was born deaf. It is unclear if the status has or has not changed.  

19 Oct 2015     

douglas
United States

I would only add that the 3rd sentence should actually say "at birth" instead of "since birth".

Most likely the "true" statement is #2 because it �s not too common that deafness goes away (#1).

20 Oct 2015     

phuongtra176
Vietnam

my answer is #2

20 Oct 2015     

parsland
Iran

And which of these questions are true ?

How much good is she at speaking ?  OR   how good is she at speaking?

How much good are they at playing football? OR How good are they at playing football?

How much good is your father at cooking ? OR  How good is your father at cooking? 

20 Oct 2015     

yanogator
United States

"How good" for all of them. If you say "How much good", you change the "good" from an adjective to a noun. You can say things like "How much good has your charity done this year?"

Also, you want to know which sentences are correct, not true. 

@Douglas,
If this is part of a narrative that takes place in the past, then 1 and 3 work as written.

Bruce 

20 Oct 2015     

douglas
United States

I agree with you about  #1 Bruce, but I have a problem with was and since being used together (that is, using since with the simple past).

20 Oct 2015     

parsland
Iran

Bruce and Douglas , thanks alot , but i found these three sentences in dictionaries.

first sentence is in (( Longman dictionary of common errors))  and this sentence is as true sentence.

second sentence is from websters dictionary. and third sentence i saw it on web dictionary and now i want to know what

differences are there ? 

20 Oct 2015     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Douglas, now that I �ve thought more about it, in my setting I would say "the child was deaf from birth". Thanks.

@parsland
1.   Early in my practice as an otolaryngologist, a woman cam in with her son. The child had been deaf since birth, and she wanted to know if any developments had been made in medical science that might help him.

2.   Does his son have any health problems?
Yes, the child has been deaf since birth.

3.   She had always felt very protective of her daughter. The child was deaf from birth, and developed circulation problems when she was still young.

Bruce 

20 Oct 2015