Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Body Parts    

Body Parts

carmen_obd
Romania

Body Parts

Hello everyone,

It is the first time when I �m writing on this forum, althought I read it each and every day. Next week I have to teach body parts to young learners of English ( age 3-4 ). Does anybody know any funny game or activity that I can use? I would need something funny but helpfull at the same time.

Thank you in advance!
Carmen

24 Feb 2009      

douglas
United States

As a child my sisters would sing a song to me that goes something like:

"head, shoulders, knees and toes--knees and toes"

I don �t really remember it. does anyone else?

Another game for that age is "the Hokey Pokey":

Kids stand in a circle and the leader sings:

"you put your right hand in
  you put your right hand out
  you put put your right hand in and shake it all about

then you do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around
  and that �s what it �s all about <<clap clap>>"

As you sing you do the action and the kids copy you.

It �s fun, we even used to do this at a roller skating rink when I was younger.

Douglas  <<google hokey pokey foro more info>>

24 Feb 2009     

d�lsinya
Turkey

Hello carmen ı ve got a flash game in my pc it is very enjoyable you can use it if you have a computer in your classroom and if you want ı can send it.At the same time there are songs maybe you can use them.On the other hand you can use a game like that:

Touch it !!

You say a part of a body and children show and touch it.For example you say eye and they touch eye if somebody makes wrong you can elect them and at the end you choose the best and give him/her a present or you just say the body part and they touch it is up to you!!It is an easy and enjoyable game my students like it:))

24 Feb 2009     

Kita19
Portugal

Hello carmen!

You can also teach the body parts by telling them "Touch your nose", "Clap your hands" by demonstrating (and the other parts of the body you want them to learn). You can also add other actions they always find funny, like "Jump!" or "Spin around". These commands have nothing to do with body parts but they are also learning something and you can always insist more on body parts.

After some times doing this, you can check if they are learning the body parts, telling them to do the actions and not demonstrating. Only if they can �t remember you should do it again.

If you don �t know the song "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" just let me know. It has also actions, which the students like doing.

Best wishes,

Kita

24 Feb 2009     

Kita19
Portugal

I �ve just remembered another game: "Simon says". Do you know how to play it?

24 Feb 2009     

atsitab
Portugal

"Head, shoulders, knees and toes" works always very well.  The kids love it!

You can also have them draw their own monster. Make a dice (in mes-english site you can make one) with a part of the body on each face of the dice.  Students trow it and they must draw the part of the body indicated on the dice.  They came up with very funny monsters (you can provide them a template with the body and they have to draw the legs, eyes, arms, and so on).  In the end all of them can name their monsters and you can make a class gallery, hanging all the drawing on the wall.

I hope this can help you!
It worked with my little kids at school!

24 Feb 2009     

VeraM
Portugal

Carmen,
You can make Bingo cards here http://www.dltk-cards.com/bingo/
Or you can also make a board game, using the vocabulary that suits you, on which the students have to draw a monster according to the body parts they get. Or they can just name and point the body part they get, if you prefer.  It �s easy to make, since you can use regular cardboard and a couple of dice. Here´s a great place to make a boardgame http://www.toolsforeducators.com/boardgames/.
Just an idea!
Good luck!

25 Feb 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

You have a private message; check it.

25 Feb 2009     

luxiz
Argentina

Hi Carmen!!
You can try The Blind Guy. It �s a flashcard game in which you can work with the parts of the body giving commands. Read the advice below, please!:)

1� you introduce the vocabulary (use a traditional song or flashcards)
2� give commands using the vocabulary and invite children to do them
3� show a body part template having its parts split up (an arm, a leg, etc.)
4� stick only the body template on the board
5� invite a child and ask him to cover his eyes with a piece of cloth then tell him to stick the flashcard in the right place
6� do the same inviting other sts until the human body is totally ready
hope you get the idea an enjoy it together with your sts!!

25 Feb 2009     

ameliarator
United States

You can also do a craft project where you cut up a picture of a body and give all the legs to one child, all the arms to another child, etc. and kids have to ask for what they need, "I need one head" from the child with the heads, etc. then glue the parts and color them. �This might be too difficult for your age level, but I did it with slightly older kids and they had a great time.

25 Feb 2009     

cookingongas
France

How about this, it�s an excercise from Adventures I think.

You need drawings of robots (they �re easy to draw, because you can�t get them wrong!), with long legs, short legs, a square/ round head, big body, small body, the options are endless.

Then in pairs, one student describes their robot while the other one draws. There�s another good reason for using robots - not everyone can draw very well! But anyone can draw a robot with long legs, a square body and a round head.

All the best,

Charles.

25 Feb 2009     

1    2    Next >